MacBook Pro 17" when and how....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Can't wait to buy the next 17" macbook pro

It's going to have more future that the 15"one? What processor it will use? the dual core 2.16 or some thing better? there is anything better at the moment?

Is it still realistic to hope to see it in April ??

Thanks

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I would not expect any updates to the MacBook Pro line until WWDC in August.



    Apple needs to keep a Professional G4 laptop until all of their pro apps are Universal. The 17" PowerBook G4 is that laptop.



    WWDC is likely to be the end of the line for the Power PC Macs and a real wake up call to any developers who still haven't made their applications Universal. We will most likely see Leopard running at unbelievable speeds on the new Towers and laptops. The only major update to Apple products we will see between now and August will be to the iBook line and the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,737member
    WWDC will be very interesting indeed!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Fran441

    I would not expect any updates to the MacBook Pro line until WWDC in August.



    Apple needs to keep a Professional G4 laptop until all of their pro apps are Universal. The 17" PowerBook G4 is that laptop.



    WWDC is likely to be the end of the line for the Power PC Macs and a real wake up call to any developers who still haven't made their applications Universal. We will most likely see Leopard running at unbelievable speeds on the new Towers and laptops. The only major update to Apple products we will see between now and August will be to the iBook line and the iPod.




    How about a 12in MBP? I'm really debating between a 15in MBP and a 12 MBP, if they ever release an intel one. I hope they don't let that line die. It's really a nice machine and from what I understand it sold well.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The issue with a 12" MacBook Pro is that it will require it's own motherboard. A 17" MacBook Pro could use the same motherboard as the 15" MacBook Pro (not saying it will, just saying it could) while a 12" MacBook Pro needs a redesigned, more compact board.



    It basically comes down to time I think. I doubt heat will be a problem so the question is whether they have enough time after they finish designing the new iBooks to design a separate 12" MacBook Pro.



    While it is likely the line will continue, I didn't put it with the 17" MacBook Pro as we don't know what the iBook line will look like and if there's an overlap, we might see it phased into that.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Fran441

    While it is likely the line will continue, I didn't put it with the 17" MacBook Pro as we don't know what the iBook line will look like and if there's an overlap, we might see it phased into that.



    My current thinking is that the 12-inch PowerBook will be "merged" with the widescreen iBook, and that the high-end iBook will be priced at $1499 instead of $1299.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Fran441

    I would not expect any updates to the MacBook Pro line until WWDC in August.



    Apple needs to keep a Professional G4 laptop until all of their pro apps are Universal. The 17" PowerBook G4 is that laptop.




    Who says they can't offer both at the same time? In fact, I think it's highly likely that Apple will introduce the 17-inch PowerBook in the current quarter, especially if sales drop off considerably on the 17-inch G4. Speaking of Pro apps--what apps beyond Aperture are not pro already? And, as Aperture is proportedly going to be ready by mid-April...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    Heat is not a problem! The G4 and the core duo release completely different levels of heat at the same Ghz



    I know that they wont be the same Ghz but heat wont as much a big deal. The lowest 15 MBP is 1.8 ghz - i dont know if anyone here has specified that they have that one, but the heat will be less and even smaller in the 1.67 Ghz. And if heat is really a problem, just use a low voltage version.



    Either that or i am talking out of my ass.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

    [B] Speaking of Pro apps--what apps beyond Aperture are not pro already? ]/QUOTE]



    Shake, CS2(3), MS office.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

    Who says they can't offer both at the same time?



    Apple hasn't done this yet, I'm not sure why they would start now. The minute that Apple announces new machines, they take the older models off of the main page of their store and do what they can to push them out of the channels. In the last 3 or 4 years, Apple usually has the channel clear when they announce a new product.



    As mentioned above, it's not just Apple's pro apps that aren't all set yet either. Many companies that support Apple including Adobe and Microsoft. Major apps that aren't yet Universal include FileMaker, Office, Quicken, Photoshop (and all of Adobe's other apps), Quark (might have just gone beta), and more.



    I really think WWDC is Apple's key show this year. I believe we will see Adobe come out and really support the Intel Macs and most of the above apps should be Universal by then. We will see new Intel based Power Macs and there will probably be some old fashioned Photoshop tests which make every other computer look like it's processing at a snail's pace.



    I also really believe that we will see a relaunch of the MacBook Pro line. We need to see the iBook line before we'll know if there will be a 12" MacBook Pro, but I expect quite a bump for the existing 15" MacBook Pros and a 17" MacBook Pro with some impressive specs as well.



    The current MacBook Pro started shipping in mid-February, meaning it will be 6+ months old when WWDC rolls around. It would be 7 months old if you count MWSF as it's launch but there was that stealth speed bump in there as well. Regardless, that's within the window a speed bump.



    Also remember that the PowerBook and Power Macs were both updated in late October of last year and it makes sense to update them both at the same time now. WWDC seems fitting because I believe Apple will also demo Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and they will want to show it off on their new Pro Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Is this why Apple is waiting to release both the Intel-based iBooks and the rest of the PowerBook line?

    Quote:

    Intel to sample Core Duo core update this month

    By Tony Smith

    6th April 2006 11:09 GMT

    Intel is to update its Core Duo processor line, the chip maker has told customers, with samples of new T2400, T2500 and T2600 65nm dual-core processors shipping by early May. Some may go out the door before the end of April, we understand.



    According to company documentation seen by Reg Hardware, the move will see Intel replace the three processor's C-0 core stepping with an update version dubbed D-0. The scheme will affect both boxed and tray-sold CPUs, with shipments of commercial product commencing 23 June.



    At this stage, it's unclear what the core update involves beyond the broad "speed enhancements" Intel mentions in its documentation. D-0 Core Duos are backwards compatible with C-0 parts, though the new core will require a BIOS update, Intel warned.



    full article
  • Reply 11 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I expect that the iBooks with use the Core Duos but I think the MacBook Pros will be updated with something newer at WWDC in August.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Fran441

    I expect that the iBooks with use the Core Duos but I think the MacBook Pros will be updated with something newer at WWDC in August.



    I reckon my money would be on a low end Core Solo, and a high end Core Duo for the iBooks- they have tended to have roughly the same spec as Mac minis before, so they might differentiate between them that way again. By WWDC MacBook Pros could have a cheeky speed bump when the 17in is released, as the slightly faster processors will be out by then, and appartently intel will lower prices. Everyone's a winner!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by G_Warren

    I reckon my money would be on a low end Core Solo, and a high end Core Duo for the iBooks- they have tended to have roughly the same spec as Mac minis before, so they might differentiate between them that way again. By WWDC MacBook Pros could have a cheeky speed bump when the 17in is released, as the slightly faster processors will be out by then, and appartently intel will lower prices. Everyone's a winner!



    The iBooks were never meant to be portable versions of the Mac Mini. They were built to be the portable iMac, hence the name iBook.



    I hope Apple doesn't wait for Intel to update the processor line before they release the MacBook. I'm impatient.
Sign In or Register to comment.