Retailer fans Bluetooth iPod rumors

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A UK retailer in contact with Stuff Magazine has thrown its weight behind recent wireless iPod rumors, saying Apple Computer is adding the finishing touches to a new iPod with Bluetooth capabilities.



"Rumours of a iPod with the wireless tech built-in reached fever pitch in February 2005, but it looks like the jukebox is finally ready to appear in the Apple store, along with a deluge of accessories" the report says. It does not identify the retailer which made the comments, but it is true that Apple sometimes offers privileged information to some of its largest resellers ahead of major product launches.



Recently, American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu sent a research note to clients, in which he said "a new widescreen vPod with Bluetooth headphones could be ready as early as the June quarter." Apple began its June quarter earlier this month. It runs three months through June.



Still, analyst reports are not the only sign that iPod refreshes may be on the way.



Two weeks ago an overseas publication reported that Quanta Computer had won a contract from Apple to manufacture new "video iPod devices." The publication, which did not cite sources, said Quanta would begin delivering the iPods this month.



And just last week, a couple of big-box retailers, including Amazon.com, began selling all of the company's iPod digital music players at costs below Apple's suggested retail price.



In the same research note, Wu further stated that slowing iPod nano sales may force the company to release refreshed nanos as well, likely with increased storage capacities.



Of interest, the Stuff Magazine article also makes references to this Apple patent filing that appears to show the company is also working on a Bluetooth picture frame.



Rumors of a wireless Apple picture frame have swirled amongst insiders ever since it was reported that Apple planned to extend its foray into the consumer electronics market. One insider has referred to the project by the code-name "lunchbox," but at the time offered few other details.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 17
    Please let this be so. I just hope that it still has a place to plug in regular headphones. I use bose triports and them aint cheap; I'd hate to see them collecting dust.



    Aaron
  • Reply 2 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AaronHarmon

    Please let this be so. I just hope that it still has a place to plug in regular headphones. I use bose triports and them aint cheap; I'd hate to see them collecting dust.



    Aaron




    I would say it will come with regular iPod headphones, but will include bluetooth if you so choose to purchase a set of bluetooth headphones! Which apple might sell too!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AaronHarmon

    I use bose triports and them aint cheap; I'd hate to see them collecting dust.[/B]



    them aint good either. i would love to see them collecting dust.



    They would obviously have a normal headphone port and hopefully the ability to turn bluetooth off. Bluetooth headphones are kind of pointless as it would be a major killer to the battery life and they are another thing you have to charge. I mean its bad enough having to bother to charge the ipod let along the headphones away.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    The question though (for me) as I am getting my first iPod. Should I get a black 60GB now (if the new one is also 60GB) or get the new one which being a rev A (well the current 5g is also rev A) could have problems with bluetooth, lower battery life and so forth. I would get it though, if it was $399, had 80GB and 20+ hours of battery life. I am also going to get the ER-6i's this summer so bluetooth is useless for headphones for me. But could be useful for doing couple albums syncing or PIM stuff (Addressbook/Calendar/etc). Also sending # to cellphone to dial, or pausing music when call comes in on cell etc.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac Write

    The question though (for me) as I am getting my first iPod. Should I get a black 60GB now (if the new one is also 60GB) or get the new one which being a rev A (well the current 5g is also rev A) could have problems with bluetooth, lower battery life and so forth. I would get it though, if it was $399, had 80GB and 20+ hours of battery life. I am also going to get the ER-6i's this summer so bluetooth is useless for headphones for me. But could be useful for doing couple albums syncing or PIM stuff (Addressbook/Calendar/etc). Also sending # to cellphone to dial, or pausing music when call comes in on cell etc.



    One question at a time please! Wait a few weeks until something happens, then sleep on it!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Once the new one is announced, won't be able to exactly sleep on it if I want the old 60GB black.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac Write

    Once the new one is announced, won't be able to exactly sleep on it if I want the old 60GB black.



    As Apple pushes new things and change in the iPod line i feel its easy for them to change things for the worse. For the time being at least it would be wise for apple to not introduce a new iPod at the exclusion of the current standard iPod if the new one is radicly different because at this point its a sorta of hit or miss game, and with such an imporant business as "iPod" is for Apple, a miss could allow competators to take advantage and possibly take control.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by icfireball

    As Apple pushes new things and change in the iPod line i feel its easy for them to change things for the worse. For the time being at least it would be wise for apple to not introduce a new iPod at the exclusion of the current standard iPod if the new one is radicly different because at this point its a sorta of hit or miss game, and with such an imporant business as "iPod" is for Apple, a miss could allow competators to take advantage and possibly take control.



    If the new iPod is the video one & the current one is the audio!

    If the new one is just a bluetooth addition, I can't see many people complaining. Either way the current one will stay! Relax you're still cool!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,707member
    If Apple does introduce a new one, it likely would take the place of the hi end 60GB model. This won't be cheap!



    Ah, rumors, rumors.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by xUKHCx

    them aint good either. i would love to see them collecting dust.



    They would obviously have a normal headphone port and hopefully the ability to turn bluetooth off. Bluetooth headphones are kind of pointless as it would be a major killer to the battery life and they are another thing you have to charge. I mean its bad enough having to bother to charge the ipod let along the headphones away.




    Not good? Seriously? They are the best headphones I have ever owend. Is there something much better in the same price range? I would be real interested if there were. I think the triports sound amazing.



    Aaron
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    If Apple does introduce a new one, it likely would take the place of the hi end 60GB model. This won't be cheap!



    Ah, rumors, rumors.




    Maybe they will give the 30 gig an increase to 40 gigs and leave it unchanged otherwise.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,707member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AaronHarmon

    Maybe they will give the 30 gig an increase to 40 gigs and leave it unchanged otherwise.



    I don't know. When the 80 was about to come out, there was a lot of reporting that Apple was going to use it, but they didn't. They have likely done marketing research showing that few want larger drives than is being offered. Larger drives mean shorter run time, or a larger battery = more money all around.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    I don't know. When the 80 was about to come out, there was a lot of reporting that Apple was going to use it, but they didn't. They have likely done marketing research showing that few want larger drives than is being offered. Larger drives mean shorter run time, or a larger battery = more money all around.



    But if they start the selling movies, I can see people begin to look more seriously at getting higher capacities. And maybe only the 80GB is coupled with widescreen and bluetooth, as people may want to put a widescreen iPod a bit further away on a table instead of holding it.



    I wonder what Creative is working on?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,707member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by mark2005

    But if they start the selling movies, I can see people begin to look more seriously at getting higher capacities. And maybe only the 80GB is coupled with widescreen and bluetooth, as people may want to put a widescreen iPod a bit further away on a table instead of holding it.



    I wonder what Creative is working on?




    Actually, I would like an 80 myself, for carrying arouynd large files, as well as for the use it is designed for.



    It depends on cost and battery life. you know how people get used to paying less as time goes on. It's difficult to get them to spend more again. Same with battery life. Look at the complaints about the video battery life for the current units.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,277member
    What's up with the Bluetooth hysteria?

    Until the debute of the next bluetooth version there won't be so many interesting ways of using bluetooth on an ipod. How bad is the sound compressed through bluetooth headphones anyway? Is it bad, or is it ok?

    The specs of the next version of bluetooth is speedy enough to rid the whole iPod of cables, then there would be some nice new feature possibilities. Now that would require an airport compatible ipod to reach those speeds.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AaronHarmon

    Not good? Seriously? They are the best headphones I have ever owend. Is there something much better in the same price range? I would be real interested if there were. I think the triports sound amazing.



    Aaron




    indeed there is, headphones just for starters.



    You can even post messages over at head-fi, best to say your source, your budget, your previous headphones, what you like about them what you dislike, the type of music you listen to, where and how you listen to it



    Best advise though is to get yourself down to a good store that stocks these sort of headphones and give them all an audition.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,074member
    All of these apple rumors of phones and better iPods really keep my gadget buying under check. I am not buying a P910a right now, thanks to the rumors.



    Ideally, the vPod would have a stylus and touchscreen with handwriting recognition, so that the iPod calandar, to-do items, and contact list will be more useful.



    The vPod (along with a RAZR or Nokia 7380) would be a nice upgrade from my P800. I could do it now with a RAZR + my 60GB iPod, but I need to be able to update calandars, contacts and to-dos while I am away from the computer.
Sign In or Register to comment.