Getting at Files in Virtual PC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This may be really stupid, but have to ask.

I am workinng remotely and I need to print a file from a windoze program via VPC....problem is I cannot get VPC to see my printer here and I cannot email the file for some reason to anyone for printing.

Is there a way via FINDER to get at the file?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by varian72

This may be really stupid, but have to ask.

I am workinng remotely and I need to print a file from a windoze program via VPC....problem is I cannot get VPC to see my printer here and I cannot email the file for some reason to anyone for printing.

Is there a way via FINDER to get at the file?

You don't get VPC to see your printer. Select the VPC virtual printer. This will send your Windows print job to your Mac printer.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    varian72varian72 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You don't get VPC to see your printer. Select the VPC virtual printer. This will send your Windows print job to you Mac printer.

Perhaps it was a wrong choice of words....I was using a wireless networked printer and I was unable to select it through VPC in order to allow Windows to print.

I hooked up via USB and got it all to work.

Nevertheless...it's be nice to be able to grab a file quick, but I guess that goes agains the idea of a Virtual machine
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You can set up VPC to access a folder on your Mac as a shared space - look in the VPC prefs, not in Windows.

And I think you misunderstood Mr. Me... you WON'T get Windows to see the printer directly. You just won't. VPC provides a virtual printer that Windows *does* see, and then VPC hooks that up to whatever printer you selected in *VPC*, the application, *NOT* in Windows. Within Windows, select the Virtual Printer, *all* the time, and it will go to whatever printer you tell VPC to route it to.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Yeah, shared folders is what you need. I make a folder next to my VPC app in the Finder called shared so I know where it is. Then go to settings and shared folders and choose that folder. Also select to always share it. Don't share the whole drive because you don't want Windows to run riot. This folder mounts as z\ drive and you save stuff to it to get the files into the Finder.

If you were able to print to pdf, you'd be able to print from your Mac if you still had trouble getting VPC to do it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Another simple solution is to print or save the file as a PDF and then drag & drop to the OS X desktop. This allows you to have access to the document in OS X after VPC is shut down.