Battlefield 2 on Boot Camped Mac Book Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The spec:

macbook pro 2ghz, 2gb ram, ATI 256mb GDDR3 x1600

I am playing battlefield 2 with everything on the highest settings including anti aliasing at x6

The resolution is at 1152x864@60mhz

This is on single player - I havn't tried multiplayer yet. WIll reply to this when i do though

Quibles - dunno if its because I haven't patched bf2 yet but the sound makes random tapping sounds.

Also no Page Up or Page Down (change the controls though)

Everything looks a bit pale but I'm sure after a tinker with the ATI settings it would be sorted!

I used to have a Dell XP Gen 2 with 2ghz, 2gb ram and gf 6800 256mb

My macbook pro does just as good a job abd is about an inch thinner!

This is a gaming machine!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    I don't believe you.

I do not believe for one second that your laptop is playing that FPS without any lag whatsoever especially on the highest settings - perhaps you forgot to max out Anti Aliasing on and Neglected to set the Anistropic setting?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    No, that makes sense. I don't however, believe that you maxed out the AA/AF. And online playing is much more demanding on the graphics card.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Half-Life looks great!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    rhodesyrhodesy Posts: 16member
    I have just played multiplayer - its not 100% but its playable - a glitch maybe every 5 mins

This is with full graphics!

The AA is on x6 - the distance thing on 100 - max res EVERYTHING that can be maxed is maxed in the graphics settings
  • Reply 5 of 27
    il do some screenshots when i get back from drinking tonight (praying i dont do something stupid to my macbook pro!)
  • Reply 6 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Patch it to the latest patch, since BF2 was perhaps one of the most buggy-as-shipped games ever. You also get a cool new map, Wake Island 2007.

BTW, the single player maps are smaller than some of the ones you can get in multiplayer, so try creating a LAN server and playing around with the planes on it. Great fun.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Heres the screen shots!

http://web.mac.com/rhodesy22/iWeb/Si...amp%20BF2.html

\\I couldnt be bothered doing some smooth moves - im too drunk :P
  • Reply 8 of 27
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I dont know how you can get that good of results! I don't believe you.

I have an iMac 20" and I have only been able to get the settings to medium with some on high. This is without any AA at all. If I turn everything onto high it is completely unplayable! This is on single player. The only difference between your macbook and my iMac is that you have 2GB of ram. I have only 1GB. I expect that to make some difference but truly doubt that much of a difference.

I will add thought that it is still beautiful and plays great!
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Oh I just noticed you have a 256MB video card... still dont think enough of a difference.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I have no reason to make this up - how can I prove it?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by rhodesy

I have no reason to make this up - how can I prove it?

Well thats true, and if you are getting that high performance then it must be the 2GB of ram vs my 1GB of ram. Still seems like a big difference, I will know when I finally upgrade to 2GB.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    dunno what the imacs have but thought id mention I have the 100gb 7200rpm hdd installed.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    I realise that the images I uploaded had been compressed...heres one of the ones I uploaded but uncompressed - its 1.35mb

http://whm-aio.com/screen001.png

Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Thought id mention that without overclocking (which i havn;t tried yet) - im only getting 20 to 30 fps with all settings on like i said above - but its still playable.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Remember all, the 256MB graphics card is a pretty big difference, but BF2 is a RAM HOG! My friend has a 7800GTX and 1GB RAM and he can't max out the game, whereas i have a 7900GTX and 2GB and I get 76FPS.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    So if it is a RAM hog it would make a big difference then to upgrade my ram to the full 2GB. I don't need it otherwize and am leary about spending the money if it will make small differnces.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    BF2 is 100% a RAM hog. Extra RAM is always worth it.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

So if it is a RAM hog it would make a big difference then to upgrade my ram to the full 2GB. I don't need it otherwize and am leary about spending the money if it will make small differnces.

RAM is definitely your bottleneck ... the difference in even 512 MB is noticeable on games like Halo and UT 2K4. You might try logging off and logging back in to free your ram up and then playing on the highest settings. I do this before I plau Unreal and I can bump everything up to their highest settings and it plays BEAUTIFULLY... Just a suggestion though
  • Reply 19 of 27
    I can't speak for BF2, but Counter-Strike: Source is running like a dream. I'll install Oblivion on tomorrow/Sunday.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Yes, Battlefield 2 pretty much requires 2GB RAM for smooth gameplay.