Question and Comments about BootCamp

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was about to buy a 20" iMac and then this whole thing with boot camp came out being able to run Micro$oft Windows XP on it. Even though Windows is an amazingly crappy operating system it made me stop my purchase of the 20" iMac. I was thinking to just save the money and get a new Powermac when it comes out all decked out. High end video card a lot of memory and a fast CPU. I think by doing this I will kill 2 birds with one stone and have a powerful system for development and graphics under the Mac OS and being able to play the higher end games with Windows XP. You guys think it?s worth the wait. I feel that spending $5000 on a Powermac is justified for a Student like me cause you are really getting 2 systems out of it now. Not to mention the possibilities of installing Linux. I have to say I am a noob in the Mac world and don?t know an awful lot like most of you guys on this forum. It would be great to get some insight on this. By the time the Powermac comes out most of the programs I use should be Universal so that?s an added plus. I hear nothing on Adobe till 2007 so I am disappointed.

Thanks

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Go have a look around,

but according to most reports I have read, XP gaming performance on the 20" core duo is already really amazing on all current generation games.

Not only does it have a decent graphic card, but apparently the core duo is really great for enhancing game performance, blowing 3+ GhZ P4's out of the water.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Wow, Im really concerend about photoshop and dreamweaver under the Mac OS because thats where I do most my work. I also do a lot of video editing.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew266

Wow, Im really concerend about photoshop and dreamweaver under the Mac OS because thats where I do most my work. I also do a lot of video editing.

Do you have the Windows versions of PhotoShop and DreamWeaver? (ducking the tomatoes) If so, there is your solution until the Mac Intel products come out.

Video editing, of course, is not a problem - Final Cut Studio is Universal binary.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If you are a student, buy an iMac. Save the rest of your money or pay down any debt that you may have. The more money and less debt you have leaving college, the better.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Did you know that the 20" iMac is Intel too, and can run Windows? Why would bootcamp make you stop your purchase of the iMac?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    he's worried about the speed of the imac for games ect. on windowsXp.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    haha, no need to worry

it is a PC with an apple logo! there is nothing mysterious about it. It will be as fast as any other similar pc with a core duo procesor and a similar graphics card.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    yea guys thanks for all the insight. Im sad to say i just suffered a large injury to my leg and tore the heck out of a muscle which leaves me unable to walk. The plus side I am talking to you from my new MacBook Pro ultimate they called it in the store.

2.16 core duo

1gb of ram

7200 rpm harddrive

.. and a whole bunch of love.

Im addicted to this new toy. (shh... i didnt tell my mom its a toy for me, its to do valuable school work.)

The only problem i had so far with it is AIM, if anyone knows of a program that is a universal binary that i can use insted of Aim to talk to Aim and Aol people please let me know.

Im going to order another gig of ram from Ramjet this weekend and stick it in here.

Havnt tried boot camp yet. I want to try to install windows XP to an external harddrive anyone know if this is possible I dont want to corupt my new MBP with that crappy OS. If it wasnt for gaming id only use OS X.

Thanks

Andrew
  • Reply 9 of 13
    adamradamr Posts: 72member
    iChat can connect to the AIM network.

cheers

Adam
  • Reply 10 of 13
    thanks
  • Reply 11 of 13
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Do the BootCamp drivers support the iSight? I have many windows frineds that I can't use video with on Yahoo and MS im's because of the iChat limitations.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Do the BootCamp drivers support the iSight? I have many windows frineds that I can't use video with on Yahoo and MSN IM's because of the iChat limitations.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Do the BootCamp drivers support the iSight?

No.