Mac Mini wireless transplant?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Would I be able to take the Airport card out of a new Mac Mini and put it into an older PowerPC mini that currently doesn't have Aiport?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pretty sure its on the mobo
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Bummer... why do they do that?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    If your two minis are next to each other, and you have a spare ethernet cable, you could share your airport connection from the Intel Mini through ethernet so the PPC Mini has internet. If that solution does not work, you might want to consider an external wireless card.

- Noah
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Haha, I don't have 2 minis, I have 0 minis. I just don't want to pay for an Aiport card on a PC I'll be putting 5 inhes from an ethernet switch. Thought I could sell the card to my buddy who has an old mini. I sure wish Apple let people make choices...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dalangalma

Bummer... why do they do that?

cost.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I'm sure it would be cheaper for both them and me if they had a version where they didn't put any wireless in at all, hard-soldered or not.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

I'm sure it would be cheaper for both them and me if they had a version where they didn't put any wireless in at all, hard-soldered or not.

It wouldn't fit, either. Remember, you're buying a 'mini.'
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I don't think we can know whether it is cheaper to just make all the mobos the same, or to spend money keeping track of which have the wireless and which don't, as well as the extra cost of differential pricing. If the wireless chip only costs Apple $6, then it may indeed be cheaper to just put it in all of the mobos.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I agree. They make profit off of mass manufacturing, and specialization would likely add to the price and the size.

You should recommend to your friend the number of USB wireless receivers.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacSuperiority

pretty sure its on the mobo

The MacWorld May '06 issue's expanded view of the Mac mini shows that the Airport module is a separate card. Whether the card is the same as others, I couldn't tell you. They don't show the bluetooth card connector, but they seem to say that too is a separate module. I don't know if that module is a standard one or not, in the past, the same Bluetooth module would work in different machines. I don't know what the cards themselves should look like as I've never personally had either.

My understanding is that the new mini teardown is quite a bit more involved than the previous version, so unless you are a good tinkerer, it might not be worth the work.