Windows-style Folder in dock

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a way to have a folder, which is currently on my desktop, "put" into the dock (like it's an application) and then auto-cascade like in Windows?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    You can put it on the right side of the dock. WHen you click on it it will open a finder window.

Is that the behaviour you want? If not, please describe how it differs.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    shapiro2shapiro2 Posts: 37member
    what i meant by "like applications" meant on the LEFT side... sorry. i figured out the right side & then ctrl-click it. you know how Virtual PC puts the "START" menu was cascading/expanding - that's what i'd like to be able to do on the left side with any folder.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    No, you can't put folders into the application section of the dock.

If mimicking the location of the "start" button in Windows is that important to you, you could put the dock on the left hand side, pin it to the bottom with Tinker Tool or some other third party Dock utility, and put a folder of aliases to the items you wish quick access to at the bottom (although it will still be above the trash).

Then again, you could check out something like Drag Thing.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Or, if you want something that acts more like the start button, you could try Fruitmenu,, which allows you to customize the Apple menu in the upper left hand corner with cascading access to folders and apps (among other things).

FYI, Fruitmenu replicates (and extends on) functionality from OS 9 and previous versions of the Mac OS, the loss of which in OS X caused great teeth gnashing and lamentations in the Mac community.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I suggest you have a look at Quicksilver It's like a Swiss Army Knife add-on for the Finder, a bit like Spotlight Pro. Very useful and, amazingly, free!!