My next Windows PC

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I tell you I'm pretty jazzed about my mini. I love the small size and most of all I love the quiet operation. This is definitely computing in my style. I got to thinking about this and thought to myself "how am I going to bring the same experience with my next PC"

Currently I have my mini and homebuilt PC on a Iogear 2-Port KVM which works flawlessly. I thought about all the Shuttle like Mini PCs out there and then it dawned on me. "Why not get another Mac mini and simply run XP on it Part time? That way I have two Macs and two PCs for use in any combination. Both minis running at the same time would be quieter than my PC right now. I know I could build a PC and use quieter fans and a fanless Power Supply but could I do that for $550 in such a small form factor?

I'm really thinking that next year I'll pick up another mini. My only stipulation is that it be dual core as well and so I'm hoping to see Apple move to an all dual core lineup next year.

The mini has everything I personally need for functionality. Gigabit, fast CPU...2GB RAM potential and a kickbutt software bundle.

Bootcamp and virtualization from companies like Parallels are going to make my life a whole lot easier. Apple just sold another Mac because of Bootcamp. In fact they may have sold two because I'm going to recommend that my mother get rid of her Gateway and get an iMac in the next year or two.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Viva la revolution!

• Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    No doubt.

My mini stays pretty cool thank God.

Now I just need a nice and fast network storage that is cross platform. I have plenty of SMB options but I'd like to see more choices.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    A dual-core mini is $790 + tax, not $550. Will your KVM switch work with two minis? Research that before you buy another one of those little suckers.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

A dual-core mini is $790 + tax, not $550. Will your KVM switch work with two minis? Research that before you buy another one of those little suckers.

I don't think he's planning on buying it right now, but in a future rev once dual core has come to the low-end mini.

See the "next year I'll pick up another mini" comment.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Oh I saw that, but with Apple's history of pricing, I seriously doubt that a dual-core machine will be $550. We're lucky if we get the Core Solo for $550, let alone the Core Duo.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It is interesting to note, though, that the Mac Mini is by far the best featured, smallest, and CHEAPEST ultra-small Windows PC. The competition is several hundred dollars more. . . .
  • Reply 7 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It is interesting to note, though, that the Mac Mini is by far the best featured, smallest, and CHEAPEST ultra-small Windows PC. The competition is several hundred dollars more. . . .

Someone should suggest it as their Budget Box next time the guys at Ars is doing their buyers guide.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

EXACTLY! Even if I wanted to buy a PC only "mini clone" it'd be more money. And I am banking on the mini going all dual core next year sometime. I'm thinking Apple has a 1.67 and 2Ghz Intel Duo Core models next year.

I'll look for a DVI KVM at that time.