Password Lost. Helpp Plz Read

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I bought a MAC OS X Powerbook G4 used off a friend, the problem is, there is an admin password that i do not know, nor does he. I need this passwrod to basically do anything, install software, ect. I need to gain this password, i do not have any installation discs, all i have is the notebook and the charger. what do you recommend i do? i was thinking of taking it to a computer store.

please help me

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    do you have any of the install disks, boot from one, do NOT start the installer, instead, quit the installer before it starts and there is a 'Utilities' pull-down menu, inside that there should be a reset password tool

- Noah
  • Reply 2 of 11
    i do not have the discs.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You're going to have to find someone with installer discs, and/or take it to an Apple Store. They may want some proof of purchase, however.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    bought it off a friend. and the fact it is in rouch shape on the outside, their going to think its stolen.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    nvmnvm Posts: 24member
    have you tried "password" ? I'm assuming you've checked this; some people don't change it from default..
  • Reply 6 of 11
    its only 7 letters
  • Reply 7 of 11
    nvmnvm Posts: 24member
    for an admin password? That's weird, my girlfriends is "password" in OS 10.4 on a G4 iBook, and mine used to be password on my G3 powerbook running OS 10.3
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, just provide a paper trail on it. They have the serial number in their system, after all, and know who it was originally sold to. If you bought it from the original buyer, you're golden. In fact, the AppleCare, if any, transfers as well.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Get the disks from your friend. They really should have been part of the purchase, anyway, as when you sell a computer, you sell the license to the OS on it as well.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    password is 7 letters, hint is "what's good and new" i bought the laptop because it was only 270.. notebook and charger only.. how do i do a paper check for the passwrod?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I GOT IT.... IT WAS EASY. i set my own master password, at the login screen, it gave me the option to reset my passwrod, i used the master pw i set, and SWEET