Upgrading a Powerbook G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

This is my first post so here goes. I bought a Powerbook G4 15" last Summer for school, and I was wondering if I should upgrade the memory. It's only got the standard 512 MB, and it seems to be a little slow if I'm running a few things at once, with the beach ball and everything. How much should this cost and where should I get it done? I'm in Canada btw. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Go for it! You will notice immediate improvements in performance.

You can order the memory from crucial.com and if you are at least a little technical then you can do it yourself. Just unscrew the back plate under the battery and replace the dimm chips or you could go to an apple authorized repair center and they can do it. Just Google for your local people.

The cost depends upon your vendor and the amount of memory that you will want to install.

Welcome
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Go for it! You will notice immediate improvements in performance.

You can order the memory from crucial.com and if you are at least a little technical then you can do it yourself. Just unscrew the back plate under the battery and replace the dimm chips or you could go to an apple authorized repair center and they can do it. Just Google for your local people.

The cost depends upon your vendor and the amount of memory that you will want to install.

Welcome

Thanks so much.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Also, if you want more speed, theres a company that can put a 1.92ghz processor in ur powerbook, macworld did an article on it..
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Do you know where I could find some info on the processor upgrade? How much would that cost?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deyounk

Do you know where I could find some info on the processor upgrade? How much would that cost?

http://daystar-tech.com/Apple_Mac_Pr...ook_AL_PS.html
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I was looking at RAM on Ebay, but I'm not sure if I should A) Buy from there or B) what exactly I am looking for, for all of the SPECS and stuff. Is there any sites that explain all of the differences in RAM?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Go to the Crucial site listed above. Use their "memory advisor tool" and it will show the type of RAM you need for your computer.