iTunes launching by itself

tmptmp
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
how do I stop this from happening? I don't see it in the preferences, and it's driving me bats! I quit iTunes, and three minutes later, it launches again. It's iTunes 6.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Sorry I can't say exactly how to fix it (though I imagine there is some sort of plst file to delete), but I'm pretty sure this isn't a feature or setting, but a problem. have you tried anything else?

There's been a lot of discussions about repairing permissions lately-- but it has worked for me on occasion when I notice weird behavior.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

how do I stop this from happening? I don't see it in the preferences, and it's driving me bats! I quit iTunes, and three minutes later, it launches again. It's iTunes 6.

Thanks

type

launchctl list

in Terminal just to make sure you don't have some periodic task running.

Then check your Login Items in System Preferences -> Accounts.

Inserting a CD can launch iTunes if the System Preferences -> CDs and DVDs panel is set to do that.

Mail can be configured to run an AppleScript on arriving Mail. So can iChat.

It could be that some utility installed something and did not delete it.

Make a new test account and see if it has the same behavior.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I used to have a problem like this on Windows XP with iTunes 5. I eventually worked out it was due to a FireFox plugin called FoxyTunes which forced iTunes to remain open.

I don't know if it would work the same on a Mac (since I no longer use FoxyTunes), but make sure there's no other apps forcing iTunes to stay open.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    some p2p programs will launch iTunes when downloading songs...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    This is a common side effect of some iTunes-aware widgets. Are you running any in Dashboard? If so, close them and see if it solves your problem.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    If you have a wireless keyboard...replace its batteries -- or disconnect it.