iPhoto 6 slower than iPhoto 5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I tried to do a search but couldn't get it to work. For some reason it kept telling me that my search criteria being 6 words long was shorter than the minimum, being 3 words, thus no results would be found. LOL

I am running a 2Ghz PowerMac G5, X800XT, 2GB RAM, system 10.4.6

Ever since updating to iLife 06 iPhoto has been at least 30% slower than it was before.... I thought it was supposed to be faster. Anyway, I looked around apple's discussion forums without much luck and was wondering if any of you have any clue as to what it going on. I am not computer illiterate and have tried most obvious things like restarting, dumping preferences, fixing privileges, and so on and so forth.

I may try reinstalling iphoto... but considering its a pretty fresh install I don't see how that could be the problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    You thought wrong...Apple specifically said iPhoto 6 would be 30% slower.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I'm guessing no one really knows what is wrong or has experienced what I have in this case. I really don't have a clue as to what is going on....

anyone...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    It's faster for me. Sorry I can't help you on that one.

Did you try rebuilding the database? Launch iPhoto and immediately hold down command-option to see rebuilding options.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

It's faster for me. Sorry I can't help you on that one.

Did you try rebuilding the database? Launch iPhoto and immediately hold down command-option to see rebuilding options.

That shit works!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

That shit works!

Does that mean it's faster now?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I clicked all the options and let it roll. The scrolling no longer lags like hell but opening pictures still seems slower than it used to be, specially when first double clicking one. It just sits there for at least 3-4 seconds without opening. In iPhoto 5 the wait time was around 1 second.

It is better now though...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Yea some people have actually made quite funny comments in here... I am just too exasperated for paying apple for a shittier program to really laugh right now. The full screen feature is prob worth 10 bucks alone though.

I just woke up from a nap by the way in which I was telling steve jobs that they should change the company policy in regards to law suits. Yes, Simply make it company policy to longer participate in the american legal system. Man... I need to go back to sleep. LOL
  • Reply 8 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Does that mean it's faster now?

Yes
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Yea some people have actually made quite funny comments in here... I am just too exasperated for paying apple for a shittier program to really laugh right now.

Here's a hint...if you stop describing products as "shittier" and plugging in comments like "I thought it was supposed to be faster" throughout your poorly thought out posts, you may get some real answers.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I was trying to be slightly humorous myself with that post as it is sort of funny to me that iPhoto 6 would be slower than iPhoto 5. I'm sorry if you think my post was not professional enough. I suppose I figured this was an internet forum and not my dissertation. I could have made the post more professional, yet honestly there isn't much else I can say.

The fact is that iPhoto 6 is certainly not faster than iPhoto 5 on my computer, and although rebuilding the database did seem to help somewhat, it's still slower than iPhoto 5.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem as I seem to be the only one.

I find it hilarious that someone posting on an Apple Rumor site would accuse someone else's post of not being professional enough. LOL My friends, did this site not just yesterday post about apple making a little girl cry? Next i'll have you telling me that my post on whackyworldnews.com was not serious enough to warrant a response. LOL

So in conclusion, iPhoto 6 is definitely, indubitably, unequivocally, undeniably SHITTIER than iPhoto 5. If anyone doesn't like the word "shittier" they can insert a myriad of other words to make them happy. I, however, do not feel like sugarcoating my problem.

I have already tried the things I have said above, which include restarting, repairing privileges, deleting preference files, and now rebuilding the library. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Oh shit...relax dude, *I* was being humorous too. You gotta stop taking things so seriously.