So how do I rip my CD's to mp4 ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With QT6.0 out, has anyone managed to transfer their music from CD to mp4? Are iTunes and the iPod going to have this functionality any time soon? Also, any success with LAME encoding?

mika.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I heard QT6 already saves to .mp4 files and iTunes plays AAC(.mp4) files just fine. Try it
  • Reply 2 of 10
    And I heard that pigs can fly...

Maybe you could provide some instructions? To save CD tracks as mp4's, that is. I don't care to learn how to fly.

mika.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Actually Mr Killa I heard you have to have QT Pro to encode.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    thnx bud. that shouldn't be a prob to upgrade ...

mika.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    iTunes isn't ready for mp4. tracks won't show in the library. looks like we'll need iTunes 3.0 for that functionality.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I expect Apple to incorporate ACC into iTunes, definately. In the preferences I should be able to choose what format I want my media encoded to, MP3, ACC, etc. You already can do this to an extent.

Additionally, a batch convert tool that will convert my MP3s to ACC would be awesome, assuming it doesn't degrade the music any more than the original MP3 encoding did.

Basically, I want full ACC support in iTunes (with some ID tag equivalent) but I just don't want to re-rip all my CDs. Doing it once was enough. Although if I get better quality and smaller files, I might be tempted.

Then again, what about my Rio MP3 player? And what about all those iPod users... better add ACC support to the iPod while they're at it. Yum!

EDIT: On further thought, I doubt Apple would add full ACC support to iTunes unless they also added it to all the iPods. Otherwise they'll have to field tons of questions ala "Why don't my tunes sync and play on my iPod?!?!" Doh! I hope they're on top of it. Then again, the next iPod may be a full MPEG-4 media compliant device, with full A/V capabilities. Hmmm...

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Xool ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Good point Xool. Does AAC offer any extra Tags not available to MP3? Or is it the same?

Killa thanks for the iTunes update.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    xool.........

unfortunately encoding [converting] from mp3 to acc will not make the audio sound comparable/better. lossy compression [mp3] + lossy compression [acc] = VERY lossy music

What I think i'm going to end up going is.. re-encode all my cd's to acc. and the mp3s that I already have will stay the way they are........ since i don't think acc will replace mp3 as a peer to peer music sharing format
  • Reply 9 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If you are a stickler for accuracy, don't re-encode your music as AAC mp4s just yet! Wait for it to mature first!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>

EDIT: On further thought, I doubt Apple would add full ACC support to iTunes unless they also added it to all the iPods. Otherwise they'll have to field tons of questions ala "Why don't my tunes sync and play on my iPod?!?!" Doh! I hope they're on top of it. Then again, the next iPod may be a full MPEG-4 media compliant device, with full A/V capabilities. Hmmm...

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Xool ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, assuming that the decoder chip in the iPod is powerful enough to decode AAC (which I would assume it would be), then adding support for AAC sound would merely require a firmware update in the same way that iPod 1.1 added support for contacts. I would think that it would be a relatively easy step (and a welcome one since my iPod only have 4.8 Mbytes left!)