Seagate ships 300GB 15k Perpendicular drive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1838

The platter density has been doubled compared to the 15K.4 line of drives effectively reducing the number of platters and heads by 50%. The 300GB model will feature a 4-platter design using 8 heads, the 146GB model will use 2 platters with 4 heads and the 73GB drive will utilize a single platter with 2 heads. All three models will come in Fibre-Channel, Ultra320 SCSI, and Serial Attached Storage interfaces at 400MB/sec, 320MB/sec, and 300MB/sec respectively. They will feature a low 2ms latency and a 3.5ms average seek time which matches the older 15K.4 line.

What has changed is the performance with a great increase in transfer rates over the 15K.4 line. The sustained transfer rates have increased an average of 15-29MB/sec across all models with the help of the perpendicular nature of the bits as well as the increased 16MB drive buffers.

This is schweeeeeet. I had my doubts that Perp recording was stable enough for high rotational speeds. Seagate proves that I was being foolish by announcing enterprise level products based on the technology. Reducing head and platter count by %50 means that 300GB SCSI drives will drop from their current lofty perc of $700-900 and fall down to todays pricing on 146GB drives. Now if they can get 146GB 10k 2.5" drives churning out for servers that would really help.

Also check out the effect of the higher density. 15-29MB/sec improvements is a substantial improvement. Finally some tech lives up to the hype.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I've tried to get this answer on a few other forums, does mounting drives perpendicularly screw them up severely over with normal nine-to-five use?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I've tried to get this answer on a few other forums, does mounting drives perpendicularly screw them up severely over with normal nine-to-five use?

No...I've read access times drop a bit for whatever reason (could be a myth as far as I know) however mounting your drive vertically shouldn't appreciably lower your MTBF. Most RAID Array uses vertically mounted drives for space reasons.