Rebuilding an iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My 3rd Generation, 15 GB iPod's hard drive recently gave out. I bought a replacement drive off eBay, a 20 GB drive. However, it doesn't fit, it's too thick.

I've talked to the seller, he's agreed to refund the money, but I asked if he still has the back piece (aluminum) from his old 20 GB iPod. He does.

If I have him ship that to me, do you think it's possible I can attach the face of my 3rd generation iPod to the back of his 20 GB iPod, thereby fitting the hard drive inside?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Yes, there should be no problem. The 15GB and 20GB drives are the same size afaik anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    No I wasn't clear. They're not the same.

My 15 GB (dead) drive is about 2 mm thinner than the drive I received in the mail.

As such, if I replace the back of my 15 GB iPod with the back from a 20 GB iPod, should the hard drive then fit?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

No I wasn't clear. They're not the same.

My 15 GB (dead) drive is about 2 mm thinner than the drive I received in the mail.

As such, if I replace the back of my 15 GB iPod with the back from a 20 GB iPod, should the hard drive then fit?

Yes, the face plate should be the same size on both so it would be up to the back piece to provide the extra space needed for the drive. This is assuming of course that back plate for the 20GB drive is also from a third generation ipod.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I think it is, but what would be the difference if it were from a 4G?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I think it is, but what would be the difference if it were from a 4G?

Actually, no difference, for some reason I thought the face dimensions of the third and fourth generation models were different. So it should be fine.