17" MacBook Pro with Merom?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just read on TG Daily that Intel will probably introduce Merom already in June or July,don't you think that the upcoming 17" MacBook Pro will future this wonderful 64-bit CPU instead of the 2.33 CoreDuo ?

Maybe announced at NAB,shipping end of May.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by etto72

I just read on TG Daily that Intel will probably introduce Merom already in June or July,don't you think that the upcoming 17" MacBook Pro will future this wonderful 64-bit CPU instead of the 2.33 CoreDuo ?

introducing in june/july 2006

shipping in may 2006...

fat change
  • Reply 2 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

If they had their act together, they should do it, if they could! That would sell alot more 17" Book Pro's, Way more!!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    No chance. Merom MBP in October/November at the earliest.

There's probably a less than 50% chance it ships with a Core Duo T2700, the 2.33 GHz one.

I do hope the 17" will have some feature to justify its ~$3000 price other than +1.6" of screen and +160 MHz of CPU clock. The 2.16 GHz upgrade for the 2 GHz 15" MBP would eat up a healthy chunk of the $500 delta from the 15", so 2.16 GHz and 17" could be the only things different from the base 2 GHz 15.4" MBP.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    itsmeitsme Posts: 15member
    Well, there is a good chance for a 17" merom mac book pro announced within the next few weeks (but if that happens, the 15" will get this cpu also) - just think of the headlines published last weeks about intel intention to ship the successor of yonah a lot earlier.

Additionally, panasonic revealed a slot-in blue-ray burner (http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...available.html). (according to panasonic, production begins this month). This device is able to read and write DVDs and CDs too - maybe that's the burner we will see in a mac book pro 17". There was a rumor that apple will add Blue-Ray and HD-Compatibility to the next version of FinalCutStudio, which we may see next week on the NAB.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

No chance. Merom MBP in October/November at the earliest.

Why are you so cruel?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by itsme

Additionally, panasonic revealed a slot-in blue-ray burner (http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...available.html).

That's slimline, not ultra-slimline. Too thick for the MBP.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    itsmeitsme Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

That's slimline, not ultra-slimline. Too thick for the MBP.

• Reply 8 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    In fact, the 17-inch PowerBook was the slimmest of the three (with the 12-inch the thickest), as more horizontal space made it possible to, y'know, arrange the components more horizontally.

So going by that, the 17-inch MacBook Pro could even be a slight bit slimmer than the current 15-inch one, which makes it even less likely to fit such an ultra-modern optical drive in there.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

TS reports that the 17" MacBook Pro is coming the next week. No signs of MacBook yet though.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    dh87dh87 Posts: 73member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

I do hope the 17" will have some feature to justify its ~$3000 price other than +1.6" of screen and +160 MHz of CPU clock. The 2.16 GHz upgrade for the 2 GHz 15" MBP would eat up a healthy chunk of the $500 delta from the 15", so 2.16 GHz and 17" could be the only things different from the base 2 GHz 15.4" MBP.

1. FW800

2. Longer battery life

3. Better graphics card, or same graphics card clocked higher

Besides, enormous premiums have always been paid for the fastest processors.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dh87

1. FW800

You have to count on Intel making that mainstream on their motherboards, unless Apple are designing their own southbridge.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dh87dh87 Posts: 73member
    I was only answering THT's hope. There are still things that can be added to a MBP to make it better. Whether any of them can be added is a separate question.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Apple can support FW800 by just putting an FW800 chip on one of the PCIe (or even PCI) buses, but it is added cost because as said before Intel doesn't support it. I do hope Apple would do something like that.

It would also be nice to see a SD Card slot and a docking port for a port replicator accessory. An optional 17" 1920x1200 would be sweet. I'd fork over up to $300 for that. A faster GPU could be in the cards too.

There are lots of things they could do to justify the price point, but Apple doesn't really pile on the features. They always tread a minimum standard for each price point.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by itsme

Well, there is a good chance for a 17" merom mac book pro announced within the next few weeks (but if that happens, the 15" will get this cpu also) - just think of the headlines published last weeks about intel intention to ship the successor of yonah a lot earlier.

There's a chance, but the chances are not good and are so small that it is equivalent to zero.

Woodcrest in July/August

Conroe in August/September

Merom in September/October

Those have been the "speculated" dates for a long time now, and it really hasn't changed. There's no reason for Intel to ship Merom until late Q3 or Q4 because they are in a pretty dominating position in the mobile space. Intel doesn't need to be wasting precious fab capacity right now on Merom CPUs when they have to fab as many Conroe/Woodcrest CPUs as possible.

Now, there's a chance that the MBP 17" could ship with an early T2700 (2.33 GHz Yonah), but I doubt it. It's going to be a 2.16 GHz T2600 standard with a chance of an optional T2700 upgrade for $300 that'll ship a month later.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    As long as I could have a 15" Merom MBP in my hands before years end,

I'm happy.