PowerBook G4 15" wont wake from sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

when my uncles powerbook goes to sleep, it sometimes refuses to wake up. When it sleeps, the screen goes out, the blinking light comes on, and all is alright, then when I need to turn it back on, whether I lift up the screen, or plug in the power adapter, it refuses to go back on. For him, it is not the biggest issue, because he mostly uses it to rowse the net, but it gets worse. Not only is it not waking up, but when I unplug it and remove the batter, the blinking light stays on, and it refuses to wake up when I plug it in or put in the battery. Holding down the power button does not work, and I cannot figure out how to wake it. Last time, hitting it a few times in the lower left-hand corner got it up, but I would like a cleaner solution.

Specs:

Machine NametPowerBook G4 15"

Machine ModeltPowerBook5,4

CPU TypetPowerPC G4 (1.1)

Number Of CPUst1

CPU Speedt1.5 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU)t512 KB

Memoryt512 MB

Bus Speedt167 MHz

Boot ROM Versiont4.8.6f0

System VersiontMac OS X 10.4.6 (8I127)

Kernel VersiontDarwin 8.6.0

Boot VolumetMacintosh HD

Thanks for the help in advance,

Noah

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

Hi all,

when my uncles powerbook goes to sleep, it sometimes refuses to wake up. When it sleeps, the screen goes out, the blinking light comes on, and all is alright, then when I need to turn it back on, whether I lift up the screen, or plug in the power adapter, it refuses to go back on. For him, it is not the biggest issue, because he mostly uses it to rowse the net, but it gets worse. Not only is it not waking up, but when I unplug it and remove the batter, the blinking light stays on, and it refuses to wake up when I plug it in or put in the battery. Holding down the power button does not work, and I cannot figure out how to wake it. Last time, hitting it a few times in the lower left-hand corner got it up, but I would like a cleaner solution.

Firstly, an aside: the reason it doesn't turn off when it's asleep and you remove both mains and battery, is that Apple's laptops have a very useful "warm swap" battery technology. This is so that if you have a spare battery, when the first battery is running low, you can put the computer to sleep, remove the depleted battery, replace it with the spare, then wake up the computer.

The Power Management Unit (PMU) is located in the bottom left your computer, so that's probably why hitting it there helps sometimes.

The first thing you should do is reset the PRAM, and reset the PMU.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    So far so good!

Thanks a bunch for the help Mr. H!

-Noah