Any FileMaker users here? Would you reccommend the app?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am looking for an easy to use database that will help me organize my jobs/business. FileMaker looks like a good solution, but I'm not sure if I should get FM8 or FM8 Advanced...or if there is a better way to go.

If you have an comments (positive or negative) about FileMaker, please share them here.

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    FileMaker Pro is a great product and there is a free trial on their website so you can make sure that it will work for you. The Advanced version is more geared to developers, so I would not really look at the extra expense.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I've tried FM on several different occasions. I always seem to need a more tailored database for my needs. When I try to tailor, I get lost. I also find that it doesn't work directly with Addressbook which is a show stopper for me.

Seems FM is really more geared for the enterprise than for the consumer.

I keep hoping Apple comes out with something that will be geared for the consumer and easy to tailor.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I keep hoping Apple comes out with something that will be geared for the consumer and easy to tailor.

FileMaker Pro is a full-fledged development system. It allows the competent database application developer to tailor it to a fair-thee-well. It seems that you want a contact manager with more functions than Address Book. Perhaps, you would be better served by describing your needs and asking this forum to help you find an application which meets them.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Yes. Yes.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Yep, FileMaker is quite awesome, and highly recommended.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Filemaker is excellent. Also to own Advanced isnt just for commercial developers and if you are planning on developing a lot of inhouse solutions to be used by people other than your self the Advanced can be a good option. That said the standard version will allow you to make your inhouse solutions quite easily. In Filemaker changed the name from Developer to Advanced for this very reason as it is not just for "developers".

Unfortunately there is no upgrade path from standard to advanced.

Also filemaker comes with many templates that you can use out of the box and not have to do too much from scratch developing.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    USE THIS: http://www.dabbledb.com/

It's amazing, and it's soon out of beta.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I've been having trouble posting to this thread.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses. I bought a copy of FM Advanced, and am planning on setting things up this weekend.

One last question...

Is the CreativePro package worth it? The FM site kinda sucks.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    FMP is one of the only database programs I can think of that's usable on its own.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    FileMaker is an amazing program. Simply enough to learn very quickly. But powerful enough to grow with your needs.

I would go with the Advanced version.

The key difference is you can cut and paste code and it comes with de-bugging tools.

Honestly, these should be included in the regular version. But alas, they are not, and they will save you a ton of time.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

FileMaker Pro is a full-fledged development system. It allows the competent database application developer to tailor it to a fair-thee-well. It seems that you want a contact manager with more functions than Address Book. Perhaps, you would be better served by describing your needs and asking this forum to help you find an application which meets them.

I have tried many things. Filemaker, Studio Boss, Studiometry, CRM4Mac, ODF contact, Now Up to Date and Contact, Chronos Organizer, Entourage, etc.

Daylite is the most powerful and full featured thing I have been able to find. The GUI is a little odd but version 3 is a good improvement. If it could be hybridized with Studiometry it would be dang near perfect for me.

I have just never found anything easy, intuitive or Apple like about Filemaker. You are probably correct that it is more geared for the competent database application developer. That doesn't include many of us out here. I got better things to do.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I love Filemaker, we've created some huge linked databases hosted on a FMP server. Very customizable and moderately powerful.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    So what exactly is the CreativePro package...their site tells you what it does, but I cant find out what it is. Different app? pre-configured workflows?