Rumours or 8 Gb and 10 Gb

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...6/04/22/137218

Is it true? I'm not sure about the availability of usb flash memory. Would Apple be willing and able to introduce these products?

I certainly hope so. 4 Gb is a little on the slim side (no pun intended), but I would definitely buy an 8 Gb Nano if the price were right.

Edit: Made a typo in the title. I should be: Rumours OF 8 Gb and 10 Gb Nanos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yeah I'd love an 8GB Nano as well. Then I could bifurcate my iPod strategy.

iPod Video (rumored) for viewing my movies and photogs and music.

iPod Nano- For listening to my favorite songs.

When I don't want to be loaded down with a heavier unit I'd take my Nano. When I want everything and the kitchen sink I'd take the Video.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Increasing capacities is a logical step but is hardly revolutionary. It might help those on the fence, but for most its not that different than the previous version.

If nano w/ video was released it'd be another story. I don't expect this though.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Increasing capacities is a logical step but is hardly revolutionary. It might help those on the fence, but for most its not that different than the previous version.

If nano w/ video was released it'd be another story. I don't expect this though.

I just can't see the possible point of video on a screen that small.

At any rate, the day we have an 8Gb nano for $200 is the day I replace my 15Gb 3G iPod. It might be a while but I look forward to it!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Video on a Nano
  • Reply 5 of 11
    iPod Nanos are reduced by upto £25 in some on-line retailers in UK.

I just noticed my basket checkout price (that I left to stew a while back) got reduced...

Must be a sign.. It's a sign oh Brian!..8GB here we come...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Then I could bifurcate my iPod strategy.

You really need to get that onto T-shirts and bumper stickers NOW!

• Reply 7 of 11
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    BTW...regarding this rumor...no doubt higher capacity iPod nanos are coming. Apple is clearly migrating stuff down. Someday we may even have a $149 or $99 8GB color nano. Think how far things will have come from the start of it all.

But...a poster in another thread on this a while ago said that because of the way that flash memory/storage is designed/built...10GB is unlikely. I guess unless they use two chips. Apparently flash comes in increments like this:

1GB

2GB

4GB

8GB

16GB

Right now Apple has the first three. The 8GB seems like a no-brainer. Will they just add it and keep the others?

What is the next size up? Clearly 10GB is possible with two flash chips (assuming all of this stuff with the flash is true). But there ain't much room to spare inside those nanos I expect. Perhaps the rumored "interior redesign" of the nano is connected here.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Video on a Nano

I'm not saying I'd want to stare at the nano's screen all day, but if I could watch the occasional clip on it I would. And if the power is there... Obviously no TV hookup though.

But would I rush out to replace my current 4 GB nano? no. If it had wireless syncing though I might consider it.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I'm not saying I'd want to stare at the nano's screen all day, but if I could watch the occasional clip on it I would. And if the power is there... Obviously no TV hookup though..

Keep dreaming! This will never happen, the bloody 5G's screen is small enough already for video.

Steve stands up on stage: "the Nano, well what about the Nano? The Nano is an amazing tiny music player. It's been a roaring success. It hold up to a 1000 songs, and it's really thin. Really thin! In fact it's impossibly small. But we realised with technology evolving so rapidly, we could do the impossible again. Yes you've guess it, we've made it smaller. And not only that but it now plays video. Amazing, you can even nearly make out the people moving on the screen. We're thrilled with this!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    i think the nano has alot of space for a larger screen. and if they dont make the screen bigger then make the nano smaller. hopefully this happen with the redesign this fall.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Keep dreaming! This will never happen, the bloody 5G's screen is small enough already for video.

I agree, but the same thing was said about the standard iPod before the video model was introduced.

If the nano had video capability it would be a competitive selling point and people would use the feature. They probably won't watch 2 hour films, but for talking head podcasts you don't need a giant screen anyhow.