Possibilities for the next MacMini release

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am sure that I've read about some of the possibilities, or at least, the preferences, for the next release of MacMini. Excuse me if this has been covered before, but I am not aware of the answers, and was wondering if perhaps anything has changed since the last discussion regarding MacMini release..

Is there a technical reason why Apple couldn't release a MacMini with a RG6 cable input, and a HDMI output? Is there a better, feasible, solution for the obvious intended use?

Also, what about the likelihood of a blu-ray drive in a MacMini? Would PCs likely include Blu-ray drives as soon as available, or is it likely they would become available when the costs come down?

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    The Mac-Mini won't get Blue Ray drives for a while, probably not for a few years. The component price for the dives will need to come down quite a bit to get them in to a $799 computer that is already packed pretty full with features such as WiFi, BlueTooth and a dual core processor. My guess is that Apple may reduce the price to match the old G4 model as Intel reduces the cost of the Core Duo and Solo processors and add a higher end model at $899 with a faster chip.

New inputs won't be added either, and HDMI isnt really needed. This is a computer not a home entertainment device. I know everyone wants it to be a home entertainment device, and I dont see anything keeping Apple from doing it, but if history tells us anything then Apple will release a seperate product to hook up the TV to the home network, not expand the computer (Mini or iMac) into the home entertainment device.