FireWire 800

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Why the hell is Apple trying to kill it!?

For example, why the hell isn't it on the 15" MacBook Pro?

Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Discuss.

The new MacBook Pro introduced today has FireWire 800.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think that's the point. The 15" is the mass market machine. Why not have it there? It IS a Pro machine.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Why not have it there?

Space?

- Xidius
  • Reply 4 of 13
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think that's the point. The 15" is the mass market machine. Why not have it there? It IS a Pro machine.

Not for two grand it isn't. It'll be back in the rev.2 machines.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    they (or whoever) weren't ready with it in Feb (same for DL)

So they made decision to release 15" without. Coming soon.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

There isn't much to discuss that hasn't already been said. This was the subject of heavy speculation when that was announced and released. I don't remember if a reason was given by Apple.

Someone on this board did say that the FW800 chip used in the previous model was very large, and there's not much open board space on the 15" model that I can tell. That could be one reason. Or there may not have been a PCI Express FW800 chip at the time, I don't know. Whatever.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    FW800 simply doesn't bring much value.

A few hdd hook up via the connection.

The RME Fireface hooks up via FW800 but it's overkill.

Some video product as well.

FW800 simply doesn't have a bright future. When Apple itself failed to capitalize on he connection and utilize it well I knew it was dead (FW800..not FW400)

Good news is that Firmtek now has an eSATA expresscard/34 now for Macs. One less reason to need FW800.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

[...] and there's not much open board space on the 15" model that I can tell. That could be one reason. Or there may not have been a PCI Express FW800 chip at the time, I don't know. Whatever.

A FW800 controller was included in the chipset on G4 machines, so only a FW800 PHY was needed.

The Intel chipset only includes FW400, so a FW800 controller + PHY is needed.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    FW800 should not die. I fail to see a substitute. Eventually the bandwidth will be needed. Apple and ports...ugh. It never ends. Or I suppose we could all go back to SCSI. \
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

FW800 should not die. I fail to see a substitute. Eventually the bandwidth will be needed. Apple and ports...ugh. It never ends. Or I suppose we could all go back to SCSI. \

Now that's a thought!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That or I guess we could all wait for that ever-rumored FireWireless.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Quote:

That or I guess we could all wait for that ever-rumored FireWireless.

Won't wireless usb (or is it the next-gen bluetooth or is it uwb, forget which one) supposed to have faster speeds than 800 without any wires? Maybe I was just dreaming; correct me if the case is such
  • Reply 13 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alexluft

Won't wireless usb (or is it the next-gen bluetooth or is it uwb, forget which one) supposed to have faster speeds than 800 without any wires? Maybe I was just dreaming; correct me if the case is such

The USB.org site says this: Certified Wireless USB performance is targeted at 480Mbps at 3 meters and 110Mbps at 10 meters.

That would only mean fewer wires now, not enough of elimination of wires. Human interface devices can operate on batteries pretty well, but not drives and scanners, which are the kinds of things that would benefit much from the high speed.

Even if it was faster, for external drives, everything has to compete against eSATA now, up to 3Mbps. Sure, the eSATA link is point-to-point, there are now one-to-five bridges available and there are several encosures available that take advantage of them so you can simultaneously manage five drives for one cable at total speeds faster than Fibrechannel.