Finder icon previews broken in Tiger?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
After upgrading my 10.3.9 Macs to 10.4.6 (Tiger) I no longer can see icon preview information in the Finder (column view) for these two file types: Illustrator CS EPS files (.eps) and Punto files (.pdc). (Punto is an industry standard design app in the embroidery/fashion industry.) Both file types now show the generic application icon rather than a preview of the file's data. For example, an Illustrator file now shows the Adobe Illustrator icon rather than a thumbnail of the actual file's contents. I have tried toggling "show entension' in the Finder, and it didnt help. I even opend and re-saved files hoping that would work. No luck.

My users are mad because they no longer can see a file's preview in the Finder, and they have to double-click each file to see it's contents. Sounds minor I know, but these users open hundreds of files a day! It's killing them.

The files are on both Panther and Tiger AFP servers and on user's local HFS+ hard drives too. The location of the files doesnt appear to be a factor thus far in my tests.

Any ideas on what has changed from Panther to Tiger? Is this a resource fork issue?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Check to see if you have "Show icon preview" selected in Finder / View / Show View Options.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Is this a resource fork issue?

It sounds like it could be. EPS files don't show previews for me in Tiger and I don't think they could because it would take too long. If you open an eps file in preview, it takes ages to convert the eps to pdf.

Programs like graphicconverter sometimes embed the icon preview in the resource fork of the file. I'm not sure but I think Windows uses a thumbs.db file for this.

If you copied the files to a Windows drive or used a procedure to copy files that didn't maintain the resource fork then it probably stripped them.

It could be the file association though. Other people have noted it:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=47674

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=287975

Make sure you set the eps files to open by default with illustrator. You may need to flush the launchservices database.