15" MBP or wait for ?? long for the 13"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I would appreciate some advice..I'll be a first time Mac buyer and am trying to decide between the already out 15" MBP or wait for the 13". Here are my issues:

-I walk 2 KMs a day to and from work, so i need light (I'm little and female so I don't want something awkwardly big to carry)

-I am willing to wait, but not for 2 months

-I will be doing a lot of stuff with Excel/word/pdf files (essays) so will I go bug eyed with the 13" ??

-Will the 13" screen be as nice as the 15"??

Advice please!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If you want it light and portable I'd say its worth waiting. For word, email, and web surfin' the MacBook Pro is probably overkill. You may like the additional screen real estate, but it may not be worth the extra size, weight, and $$.

I'm waiting to see the specs on the 13" MacBook myself because for the first time in my life I'm willing to sacrifice some power for a lightweight laptop. However I'm a Pro user, so I suspect I'll find some deal breaker and get a 15" MacBook Pro to replace my aged Titanium PowerBook. (500 MHz of pure G4 power!)

But again, for your purposes it sounds like the 13" may be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    If you want to look at 13 inch widescreen now there are plenty of windows laptops that can give you an idea of what the screen is like to look at. I think 1280x800 on a 13in screen will be fine in OSX. I think if the price is an issue then wait, but you may have to wait another month or so.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac_microbe

I would appreciate some advice..I'll be a first time Mac buyer and am trying to decide between the already out 15" MBP or wait for the 13". Here are my issues:

-I walk 2 KMs a day to and from work, so i need light (I'm little and female so I don't want something awkwardly big to carry)

-I am willing to wait, but not for 2 months

-I will be doing a lot of stuff with Excel/word/pdf files (essays) so will I go bug eyed with the 13" ??

-Will the 13" screen be as nice as the 15"??

Advice please!

The general consensus is that the MacBook should come out in may, and that it might be available in a few flavors. So i'd wait if I was you. Welcome to the boards!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

The general consensus is that the MacBook should come out in may, and that it might be available in a few flavors. So i'd wait if I was you. Welcome to the boards!

But does she want a 13" MacBook, or a 13" MacBook Pro? I'm still hoping for a Pro model, despite a lack of rumors that one is on the way, and despite the almost gleeful way some people want to predict that it will never exist.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    My Drummer bought a 12iBook and she wouldnt swap it for anything... and to tell the truth im pretty green every time i use it... i imagine the 13' macbook(pro?) will be a thing of wonder to behold.

mind you my brother bought the 15'mac book pro and HE wont part with it either!!

if your walking that every day get a good (Targus) rucksack and the 13"

R
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Thank you

My only concern with the 13" is trying to view 2 files at the same time (side by side) AND if the screen will be as nice and beaaautiful as the MBP
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac_microbe

Thank you

My only concern with the 13" is trying to view 2 files at the same time (side by side) AND if the screen will be as nice and beaaautiful as the MBP

If you do get a 13" MBP or iBook replacement, you might also want to look into a 15" or larger LCD monitor. It doesn't have to be Apple Branded hardware just DVI compliant. That way you could leave the extra screen on your desk for the larger screen real estate and the side by side stuff you mentioned and still have the small size of the 13" for your trips etc.

Here is a quick example of a 17" lcd monitor for $233.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...787&pfp=BROWSE
  • Reply 8 of 10
    i agree with TednDi. a 13" screen will be fine for most things and if you need a larger screen, keep one to use at home so you don't sacrifice the portability of a small laptop.

i'm definitely waiting for the next intel *book, pro or no
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I also agree with TednDi. From the sounds of it you may be fine with an iBook (current).

Don't forget a keyboard... with BT you can use anything.

The Apple Store always has a MBP sitting upright like a book in a rack with an external monitor and keyboard attached.

Lighter is better if you're walking far. I dig the wide screen; got a 23" at home and love comparing photos and page layouts.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

If you do get a 13" MBP or iBook replacement, you might also want to look into a 15" or larger LCD monitor. It doesn't have to be Apple Branded hardware just DVI compliant. That way you could leave the extra screen on your desk for the larger screen real estate and the side by side stuff you mentioned and still have the small size of the 13" for your trips etc.

Here is a quick example of a 17" lcd monitor for $233.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...787&pfp=BROWSE

Thanks! That never occured to me...actually, it did I just thought screens were over $500.