OmniWeb 5.5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anybody tried the Sneaky Preview 5 which was made public? I've never liked OW and a major part of that dislike was its speed. I just tried it and... damn, this sucker is fast. Faster than Shiira.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Has anybody tried the Sneaky Preview 5 which was made public? I've never liked OW and a major part of that dislike was its speed. I just tried it and... damn, this sucker is fast. Faster than Shiira.

What do you guys think?

Ya might give a linky there would ye?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Well the downsides are: same ugly icon, silly striped menu bar because they think people are too dumb to realize it's beta software, and oh yeah - the "public" beta requires a password that you can only get by registering on their forums.

It is bloody fast though.

Linky
  • Reply 3 of 10
    to remove the stripes, just type this in the terminal: defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 HideConstructionWarning -bool true As of beta 7 that is, and be sure to quit OW first.

If have switched back to OW (for now) - love the speed (and all the OW features, but that goes without saying of course!!)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

same ugly icon

You have enough time to try out new software but not enough to add a custom icon using Finder's Get Info?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I have replaced the icon and removed the stripes and so forth, but presentation does matter. Omnigroup used to have very nice icons and UI design and so forth, now not so much.

I understand that getting the features ported over are a high priority and this is beta software and so on, but they've retained that icon for years and their UI design hasn't changed much and... Basically there needs to be a balance between features (which are I why I use it) and looks/simplicity/speed - although that's no longer a concern - (which are why sometimes I prefer Camino).

There's plenty of feature heavy products that suck (say GIMP) because they're unusable or horribly ugly and so on. Certainly Omniweb isn't that bad, but that seems mostly due to the original work put into usability and UI, they haven't spent much time on that since.

Anyway, jeez, I like Omniweb. I paid for Omniweb. I just think it needs some work Jon Hicks made a few mockups that are pretty nice, and he made some new buttons and a new icon for it which are measurably better. On his free unpaid time. I don't see why Omniweb doesn't do something about it, especially heck when they have free work out there that's nicer.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Well personally, I really like the icon. I mean, it isn't particularly creative (the "world map" -> "world wide web" -> "browser" association shit is getting old), but it's well-designed. Old? Yeah, I suppose so. But it's not broken, or unfitting.

And as for Hicks, I usually like his work, but his OmniWeb stuff is a real deterioration if you ask me. \
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

same ugly icon

What??

I love the OmniWeb icon. It's certainly a damn sight prettier than Camino's.

I've also never really understood what people dislike about Omni's toolbar buttons/icons. Again, I think they are nicer than Camino's or Firefox's, and are a lot better than Safari's because they are properly differentiated by being different shapes and colours from each other.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I understand Monk's position. The icon has been there forever and the toolbars as well. A fresh UI would not be a bad idea. I don't think the OmniWeb icon is a bad icon, it's a cliche, yes, but not a bad one.

The speed is great though. If only AdBlock + Filterset was available..
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Well personally, I really like the icon. I mean, it isn't particularly creative (the "world map" -> "world wide web" -> "browser" association shit is getting old), but it's well-designed. Old? Yeah, I suppose so. But it's not broken, or unfitting.

and at least it's not just an "O" or "OMNI" or something like that. i find those icons to be the ULTIMATE cop-out. i'm looking in YOUR direction, Microsoft Office... or should I call you Microsoft WXPE, since i see those icons in my dock all the time? how do they even use those in countries where the title is spelled differently, or doesn't even use roman letters (like japan)?

the ability to condense an application down to its universally-understood essence in 128x128 form (or, as it used to be, FAR LESS) is an artform unto itself. some hit perfectly, some miss terribly. i'd say omni is on the better side of average (and they were a bit better, i'd say, when mike matas was doing their icons).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    btw, the password is

Code:

bring your own support