Safari Tabs Issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a hack or way to force safari to open up a new page in a tab rather than spawning a new window? This behavior absolutely drives me insane. What's the point of having a tabbed browser if you click on a link only to have it spawn a new window rather than a new tab?

If anyone knows a way to force safari to use tabs for links rather than new windows, PLEASE let me know. I've already written Apple about this but they haven't said a word as usual.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Here's an example for you all to see what I'm talking about.

Greener Magazine

Scroll down until you see the "www.leonardodicaprio.org" and click it. (sorry but it's the first example of this behavior I could find).

I know I could control click it and have it show up in a new tab, but I want safari to do that anyway. There's no point in having to have an extra step there.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I get by with just Command-Clicking. I see your point though, it would be good to have a preferences option to allow it to open in a new tab by default. I guess they'll add this option eventually.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If you get a three button mouse, the middle-click opens links in a new tab. Alt-click is the way you get a middle-click with just a mono-clicker.

I prefer to use middle-click because it means I'm not stressing left-click for absolutely everything. Plus, I sometimes want to open links in a new window.

I agree that the mouse actions should be customizable though. Maybe if Apple added a mouse shortcuts option in system prefs like they do for keyboard shortcuts.