new apple "exciting" t.v. campaing launching next week?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
we'll find out next week for sure if this is trus or not! But according to looprumors (and they're getting it right a bit lately) "At today's Annual Shareholder's meeting, Steve Jobs said the company will launch an "exciting" television campaign next week."link

I don't have much to say about this other than it's exciting! What do you think it might be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Do you think the fact that Steve Jobs himself said it increases their chances of being right?

• Reply 2 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    They had a shareholders meeting today? I KNEW I felt an increase in the Reality Distortion Field...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Do you think the fact that Steve Jobs himself said it increases their chances of being right?

I'd guess he might know more than your do, so it's probably the best chance we've got!

Still a little sore over April 1st are we?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I'd guess he might know more than your do, so it's probably the best chance we've got!

It was in response to "and they're getting it right a bit lately".

Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Still a little sore over April 1st are we?

Sore about what?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    joe ojoe o Posts: 32member
    I read that at MacCentral and TS, and thought that sounded funny that Jobs would say an exciting commercial is going to start airing next week. Does anyone think this will be for something new and exciting (hence the exciting part) or just another iteration of an iPod ad (only exciting to Steve)? If so, what would it be for? Could just be for the MacBook Pro line....the iMac line already had a commercial aired for it. Maybe a new iTunes ad without the Apple logo?! Could it be more brand awareness? I don't know. It's probably nothing, but speculation is always fun.

Joe
  • Reply 6 of 15
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Ipod socks!!

Now with even more colors!!!

• Reply 7 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    They just need to show an iMac with windows minimizing and maximizing from the dock and the Mac platform will gain another few million customers.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Ipod socks!!

Now with even more colors!!!

And the all new iBook socks!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Who knows really, but it's exciting. I'll resesve judgement on this one.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

They just need to show an iMac with windows minimizing and maximizing from the dock and the Mac platform will gain another few million customers.

No fucking kidding.

1984 was the best add. And they haven't had a single good one since. iPod ads excluded.

Fire the idiots making the ads and get someone from the real world. All the hippies already have Macs. Therefore, Artsy Fartsy commercials=preaching to the choir.

How bout an add that says Macs have no viruses? I think it's worth the gamble to attract attention to that. And no popups.

Or of course an add with a window minimizing in slow mo. 8)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

No fucking kidding.

1984 was the best add. And they haven't had a single good one since. iPod ads excluded.

Fire the idiots making the ads and get someone from the real world. All the hippies already have Macs. Therefore, Artsy Fartsy commercials=preaching to the choir.

How bout an add that says Macs have no viruses? I think it's worth the gamble to attract attention to that. And no popups.

Or of course an add with a window minimizing in slow mo. 8)

You can't sell people on facts. Otherwise, Democrats and Republicans would be much better friends. You need to sell them on emotions.

PC users are already sold antivirus solutions. They're not going to buy a whole other computer to solve that problem. You can't just say "you can do this and this and this" because people are ALWAYS told about all the great things you can do.

That's why the iPod ads are successful. They don't tell you about the scroll wheel or calendar syncing. They show hipsters dancing. As silhouettes. To really good music choices.

It makes you want the product, rather than telling you to like the product.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

It makes you want the product, rather than telling you to like the product.

Exactly! How many times have we seen young, hot people playing beach volleyball and drinking a specific brand of beer? How many toy ads have kids doing the COOLEST stuff with a molded piece of painted plastic? It's all about evoking a positive feeling related to the product.

I always thought Apple was doing well with the ads like "Baby Jack," really showing off how easy it is to do really neat stuff with your Mac. I about cried when I saw that spot. They need to bring stuff like that back to TV.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Very disappointing. Insults PC users again. Humor too subtle. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

I would love to get my hands on the idiot creative directors who worked on this shit.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Very disappointing. Insults PC users again. Humor too subtle. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

I would love to get my hands on the idiot creative directors who worked on this shit.

They are selling a "lifestyle" real or not that is what they are trying to do. Macs have always been shown as being cool and PCs (PC users) not cool and nerds. Heck Gates is the poster child for that. What would you suggest they do instead? I'd like them to show OS X and iLife or at least have these actors showing them working. However, the truth is PCs have iApps that to most users would be just like iLife. We know iLife is better but you can't show that. Hopefully these ads will entice people to visit a Apple store to learn more.

Chris
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by imacFP

They are selling a "lifestyle" real or not that is what they are trying to do. Macs have always been shown as being cool and PCs (PC users) not cool and nerds. Heck Gates is the poster child for that. What would you suggest they do instead? I'd like them to show OS X and iLife or at least have these actors showing them working. However, the truth is PCs have iApps that to most users would be just like iLife. We know iLife is better but you can't show that. Hopefully these ads will entice people to visit a Apple store to learn more.

Chris

I agree with this, if they try and show the OS in action (window minimizing etc.) people might this its a clever marketing trick, and that is not what apple is going for. There working on the apple image in a subtle manner, and I think in doing that they are more clever than we think. In a year or so we should see a lot more switchers, and a lot of people will be eating their words