iPod eject problem

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After I update my iPod and then try to eject it I get a "The iPod cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application" error message. I'm using the iTunes eject icon located next to the iPod icon in iTunes.

What files is the iPod using other than in iTunes and what should I do to properly eject the iPod?

3G iPod 15 Gb, latest software. iTunes 6.0.4(3)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Is there anything on the iPod besides the music? The first thing that comes to mind is that Finder may have launched an application on the iPod if one was archived there.

Moving to iPod and iTunes forum.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Could another user be connect to it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    If you open the terminal and type df hit return, you will get a list of mounted drives. You want the names that go /dev/... e.g my internal drive is /dev/disk0s3. Then type lsof /dev/disk0s3 and hit return to see what processes are running on that drive. Then you can kill them as appropriate using the activity monitor or by quitting them normally.

Of course, you can also just try to force eject the thing using hdiutil eject -force /dev/disk0s3.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Just drag the ipod icon from the desktop to the trash. If that doesnt work just wait a few seconds. You usually just have to wait for some reason.