Gamers; Things might be getting better after all.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to an article in the Inquirer, which is actually fact based, game developers might be moving TO the Mac platform because of the Intel chips, rather than away. This is really interesting, and unexpected, good news!

Now, people have to go out and BUY these games, to encourage more.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31362

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Um, one unkown developer porting crappy card games doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm about things to come. When they make Burnout for OS X, then I'll start getting excited.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    It really depends on one's definition of gaming...

...ever since OS X is out, there's never been more freeware and shareware games. A very large amount of open-source, freeware and shareware developers are porting their software to OS X. There are more games than there ever was in the history of the Mac.

Larger 'commercial' games, however, aren't all ported...and it's these guys everyone is talking about. Of course, these games are targetted to the 'hardcore' gamers...the vocal crowd.

In due time, larger developers will begin porting to Mac...market share just needs to get bumped up to what it used to be back in the early to mid 90s.

10% market share would be enough to make quite a few of the larger commercial game developers think about doing simultaneous Mac/PC releases.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Um, one unkown developer porting crappy card games doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm about things to come. When they make Burnout for OS X, then I'll start getting excited.

You have your favorite games, as does everyone else.

But, and it's a big one, more people play these kinds of games on their computers then do people who play Burnout, and games like that.

These games are VERY popular on the PC, that's why it's important that they come to the Mac. If they do well, then others will follow.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

10% market share would be enough to make quite a few of the larger commercial game developers think about doing simultaneous Mac/PC releases.

Bless Blizzard Entertainment
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nak

Bless Blizzard Entertainment

I agree.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

I own a manufactoring buisiness, and 3% market share would make me produce a niche product. That is why I am so confused to as why this already has not been done.

As profits plummit, you have to find new markets to exploit before the next guy. Eventually, the Mac crowd will be taken care of, write it down.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I own a manufactoring buisiness, and 3% market share would make me produce a niche product. That is why I am so confused to as why this already has not been done.

As profits plummit, you have to find new markets to exploit before the next guy. Eventually, the Mac crowd will be taken care of, write it down.

I'm surprised to as to why this has not been done. I'm sure Brian Greenstone makes decent money making Mac-only games that appeal to kids all the way up to adults. And because they aren't violent games and are geared mostly to kids or parents with kids, these games are less likely to get pirated when compared to a game that some snot-nosed teen would want to play because there's nudity and blood in it.

A developer that had the heart to produce a great game for Mac and make it Mac only would instantly make a killing since there aren't very many games for Mac...and since it's built from the ground up in OS X, it would be optimized to play well and everyone would instantly fall in love with the developers and want their babies.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I'm surprised to as to why this has not been done. I'm sure Brian Greenstone makes decent money making Mac-only games that appeal to kids all the way up to adults. And because they aren't violent games and are geared mostly to kids or parents with kids, these games are less likely to get pirated when compared to a game that some snot-nosed teen would want to play because there's nudity and blood in it.

A developer that had the heart to produce a great game for Mac and make it Mac only would instantly make a killing since there aren't very many games for Mac...and since it's built from the ground up in OS X, it would be optimized to play well and everyone would instantly fall in love with the developers and want their babies.

To take it even lower (is my wife around to hear this?), my wife loves Java games that are on some sites. Games like Breakout, cards, etc. That's a big, big market.

People who like shoot em ups, don't ever seem to be willing to acknowledge that.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The biggest thing we can do to encourage Mac Game development is to buy more games. Lucky for me, being a developer / game developer means I can write off game purchases on my taxes. W00t!

But buy the AAA titles and shareware titles and the #s and $s will encourage more native development.

Speaking of which: Civ IV is out next month. Get your plastic ready!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    darth_appledarth_apple Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Speaking of which: Civ IV is out next month. Get your plastic ready!

I can't wait to get Civ IV, it will probably be my first game I buy, when I buy my Mac in the next weeks

Quake 4 is another title that has my interest, but I'm not so sure about this one yet \