Number of Mac OS X users worldwide?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know the number of mac os x users worldwide?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It's hard to gauge, but I believe Apple claimed it to be 15 million a while ago.

(edit) They say "nearly 15 million active users" here.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

It's hard to gauge, but I believe Apple claimed it to be 15 million a while ago.

(edit) They say "nearly 15 million active users" here.

It's gotta be much more than that now. Apple has been shipping an average of 4 million Macs a year for the past 3 years. This is automatically 12 million...I doubt a whole lot of people have bought more than one Mac in these 3 years.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    schienschien Posts: 2member
    To be more specific, anyone know where to look for the number of OS 10.4 users worldwide?

Thanks for the info you guys have provided so far!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I'm not sure of a number, but I think Macs represent about 5% of the total computer market.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    About 15 million active OS X users sounds right to me.

Apple regularly claims that 40-50% of Mac purchasers at Apple's own retail stores are new to the Mac. But there's little info how many institutions or users drift away from the platform (surely less than years ago, I think, but not zero).

Apple has about 3-4% U.S. marketshare, and 2% worldwide.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    thanks, sounds like the most accurate data so far.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schien

To be more specific, anyone know where to look for the number of OS 10.4 users worldwide?

Why? Why do you have to be THAT specific? Just curious.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    yeah, that seems kind of strange. plus, it doesn't seem like something you're going to be able to find out.