iMac Intel noisy - help.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I posted this on the "genius bar" but I'm not getting any replies there so I thought I'd try you "regular folk", and see what your expereinces are with iMac noise ...

I've had my Intel iMac for about a month now and been loving it, especially how quiet it was, until yesterday. Before I couldn't hear any noise from it except when it was burning cds/dvds, now there's a constant humming which seems to be coming from the bottom (chin) area (fans?). It's not at all loud. Is this normal, and I just didn't notice it before?

The only thing I've changed recently is install the keyboard update. Seems strange, as it's constant from the moment I boot up to shut down, even when I don't have any apps running and the back is cold to touch. The back used to get warm but I never noticed the fans (humming).

Please, any advice would be great.

HS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HippyShoes

I posted this on the "genius bar" but I'm not getting any replies there so I thought I'd try you "regular folk", and see what your expereinces are with iMac noise ...

I've had my Intel iMac for about a month now and been loving it, especially how quiet it was, until yesterday. Before I couldn't hear any noise from it except when it was burning cds/dvds, now there's a constant humming which seems to be coming from the bottom (chin) area (fans?). It's not at all loud. Is this normal, and I just didn't notice it before?

The only thing I've changed recently is install the keyboard update. Seems strange, as it's constant from the moment I boot up to shut down, even when I don't have any apps running and the back is cold to touch. The back used to get warm but I never noticed the fans (humming).

Please, any advice would be great.

HS

I don't think any updates are the problem.

What I would check if I was you, is the desk. Is your desk a floating desk and how thick is the wood etc?

Also try lifting up the iMac and putting your mouse-mat under the stand. (not permantly, just to check does the noise disappear) If the noise goes away you will see it's actually a vibration noise, and not a far noise like may think it is!

I had this problem, and it turned out I needed to install a better desk, now the noise is gone.8)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks for your suggestion .. my desk is actually very solid wood sitting on carpet, but I tried your mousepad idea and it didn't help.

Does your iMac make any noise now .. even a faint hum or buzz? If I put my ear close to the apple logo I now have a clear noise .. nothing like my old G4 tower sounded like, but kinda annoying and constantly in the background. I can also feel a very slight stream of air coming out of the back vent (slit) on the right side.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by HippyShoes

Thanks for your suggestion .. my desk is actually very solid wood sitting on carpet, but I tried your mousepad idea and it didn't help.

Does your iMac make any noise now .. even a faint hum or buzz? If I put my ear close to the apple logo I now have a clear noise .. nothing like my old G4 tower sounded like, but kinda annoying and constantly in the background. I can also feel a very slight stream of air coming out of the back vent (slit) on the right side.

My computer is silent, the fan stays on constantly much like the PS 2, but much quieter. It's a new Mac so I'd call apple if I was you. Before that though I'd try one more thing. Put the iMac on the carpet and plug it in, to see if the noise is still there. If it goes or doesn't call apple either way and explain the story, cheers!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I don't think any updates are the problem.

What I would check if I was you, is the desk. Is your desk a floating desk and how thick is the wood etc?

Also try lifting up the iMac and putting your mouse-mat under the stand. (not permantly, just to check does the noise disappear) If the noise goes away you will see it's actually a vibration noise, and not a far noise like may think it is!

I had this problem, and it turned out I needed to install a better desk, now the noise is gone.8)

HeeHee Ireland. If the Mac wasn't making any noise up until "yesterday" why would the desk now be the problem if it's the same desk as before?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    HippyShoes, Read this.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

HeeHee Ireland. If the Mac wasn't making any noise up until "yesterday" why would the desk now be the problem if it's the same desk as before?

That logic didn't apply to my desk, that's why I said it
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

HippyShoes

well done