Gigawire = Plastic optical Fiber?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What if...

Gigawire is a plastic optical fiber cable which utilizes the 1394b protocol along with power modulation via chromophores and Opto chips?

Plastic optical fiber is small, like fishing line and is capable of (if i remember correctly) Gigabit data streams.

What's the benefit?

The price of a high bandwidth plastic cable is cheap as in 10 to 20 cents a foot.

It's bendable, way bendable, as bendable as fishing line. You could "wire" your house with this stuff by taping it to your drywall walls and paint over it and noone would see it.

And plastic actually will support power-via-data loads.

Read link at bottom.

SO now you can run that Gigabit wire to your HDTV/MP3-ready stereo and not worry about the inefficiencie of wireless bandwidth.

OK I'm wearing my asbestos suit. Come get me.

MSKR

<a href="http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2523487,00.html?chkpt=hud0004200&quot; target="_blank">Opto chip turns blinkies into zappies</a>

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    There's no doubt optical Firewire is coming (not necessarily soon). But it's been pointed elsewhere that the patent/trademark descriptions of Firewire and Gigawire are very different. Firewire lists computer peripherals and a/v hardware while Gigawire lists telecommunications and cellular phones.

The mystery deepens...

Screed ...how fast is your phone!?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    They could of course give them 2 seperate names. (Giawire something else) The optical wire, think, though, would have some problems Apple would need to get around. One of the biggest ones is power. Apple's strategy as been simplicity through not many connectors etc, like the iPod being powered through the computer via firewire. FiberOptics supply absolutely no power to their devices (duh)... This would also bring up the other question: why is the iPod simply firewire? As I have said at least a million times before, we will find out Monday.