DiVX/XViD on G3 350 is slow

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My girlfriend's iMac G3 350SL 512mb SDRAM, 6GB HDD runs Divx/Xvid videos and some MPEG videos very slow and shoppy. It's pretty much useless for playing those types of files (any video). Is there a way I can tweak OSX or Quicktime to play these video files properly? I have the latest divx and xvid codecs installed for the mac.

Freudian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    The main problem is that the computer is using a 350 mhz G3. My old ibook which ran on an 800 mhz G3 could barely play a lot of things smoothly. You might want to try VLC (www.videolan.org) as that tends to take up less horsepower than QT. I'm not sure how much that might help, but good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    VLC or MPlayer. I found that MPlayer has a no-bs attitude when it come with .AVI files and what you see is what your computer can handle. But VLC has much better MPEG playback on slower machines but I find it a tad bit slower with .AVI files.

IIR, the latest version of VLC won't run on G3 processors. I may be wrong, but I got some error message once about processor incompatibility.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    I believe I was using 0.8.4 during my iBook's last official service days... the errors I got were mostly about frame skipping etc.