Nvidia announce new Prog Language for Graphics

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=cg"; target="_blank">The Nvidia Domination continues </a>

OSX will be Supported. Discuss!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

SANTA CLARA, CA — JUNE 13, 2002 — NVIDIA® Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA), the worldwide leader in visual processing solutions, today introduced the Cg Language Specification - C for Graphics. Cg is a high level programming language that enables content developers to create cinematic-quality real-time graphics easier and faster. Developed in close collaboration with Microsoft® Corporation (Nasdaq: MSFT), Cg gives developers a new level of abstraction, removing the need for them to program directly to the graphics hardware. The common, familiar C-like syntax enables rapid development of stunning, real-time shaders and visual effects for graphics platforms, and is compatible with Microsoft’s recently announced High Level Shading Language for DirectX® 9.0.

“Until recently, developers had to program in assembly language in order to achieve cinematic-type features in today’s graphics applications. Very few people know how to do this and it’s a painfully slow process,” said Dr. Jon Peddie, president of Jon Peddie Research. “With the introduction of Cg and NVIDIA’s Cg Compiler, developers will be able to more quickly create, share and re-use shaders that will make their content even richer with the stunning, visual effects and enhanced realism we’ve come to expect in this industry.”

“Cg has already garnered a tidal wave of industry support ranging from game developers to digital content creators,” said Jen Hsun Huang, CEO at NVIDIA. “Cg is a significant milestone for the computer graphics industry as it moves real-time 3D graphics programming a quantum leap closer to the programming model of cinematic rendering. Cg will dramatically increase the speed at which increasingly sophisticated and exciting graphics features are adopted. Cg will do for GPUs what C and C++ did for CPUs.”

In a separate announcement today, NVIDIA also unveiled a Cg Toolkit that includes a Cg Compiler, Cg Browser, CgFX file format, Cg Standard Library and a collection of pre-written Cg shaders which can be used for a variety of applications, ranging from game development to digital content creation and computer-aided design. The NVIDIA Cg Toolkit will be available to developers attending “The Gathering 2”, a conference in London on June 13-14, and for download at <a href="http://developer.nvidia.com/cg."; target="_blank">http://developer.nvidia.com/cg.</a>;

For more information about the NVIDIA Cg solutions, please visit the NVIDIA Web site at: <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=cg"; target="_blank">www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=cg</a> . For a community perspective on Cg and shaders, please visit the Web site: <a href="http://www.cgshaders.org."; target="_blank">www.cgshaders.org.</a> To hear what developers are saying about Cg, please visit: <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=cg_testimonials."; target="_blank">www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=cg_testimonials.</a>

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    The way I understand it, you will only be able to run the compiler on Windows machines, but the code produced will be for all platforms.

That basically kills OS X as a game development platform once again, great....

G-news
  • Reply 3 of 6
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>The way I understand it, you will only be able to run the compiler on Windows machines, but the code produced will be for all platforms.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Porting a compiler to a Unix machine (i.e. MacOSX) should be pretty trivial... if there was any demand for it I'm sure they'd port it over. The associated tools are a harder sell, but its all demand driven and the demand pretty much isn't there. Hopefully Apple steps up to bat and does the MacOSX version for them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>The way I understand it, you will only be able to run the compiler on Windows machines, but the code produced will be for all platforms.

G-news</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you check out NVidia information on this you will notice that the compiler is open source. They want to see this spread. Hopefully ATI will get in the game. This is a very cool technology, and why people haven't done it before I don't know. I mean no more assembly is a good thing, right?

Apple shouldn't have a problem incorporating this into their own dev tools, and since it's open source they can ship it will Project Builder and such without a problem... very sool indeed.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>

If you check out NVidia information on this you will notice that the compiler is open source. They want to see this spread. Hopefully ATI will get in the game. This is a very cool technology, and why people haven't done it before I don't know. I mean no more assembly is a good thing, right?

Apple shouldn't have a problem incorporating this into their own dev tools, and since it's open source they can ship it will Project Builder and such without a problem... very sool indeed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So, how does all this Cg relate to OpenGL? In other words, if Cg was ported to OS X, would graphics developers have to write to Cg instead of OpenGL or do they co-exist? Confused.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by eat@me:

<strong>

So, how does all this Cg relate to OpenGL? In other words, if Cg was ported to OS X, would graphics developers have to write to Cg instead of OpenGL or do they co-exist? Confused.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nvidia's CG is just for the Vertex Shaders. It's a replacement for using Assembler language which is more difficult so I hear. OpenGL is still going to be the main API.