iMac 5.1 surround sound?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

This is my first post here so please be gentle.

I am thinking about making the converstion from PC to Mac, but there are a few things I would like to know before I become a pariah from my PC dedicated friends.

The first thing is: does the iMac have the ability to take 5.1 surround sound? I have a very good system at the moment, and would like to transfer it to my future Mac. It connects by the standard 3 audio connections.

So my actual question is: will it/can it be made to fit; and if not, what alternatives are there for 5.1 surround sound with the iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    The iMac supports 5.1 out of the box but you need to use the optical digital audio output.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Don't think so without a converter:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...oto=nextnewest

Someone has tried it for the Xbox360 (which I presume uses optical out too) with these Creative decoders:

DDTS-100 which is a decoder with a bunch of optical / coax and RCA inputs. Does 5.1, 6.1 & 7.1

GD580 which is similar, with only 1 optical / 1 coax / 1 RCA input, but bundled with 5.1 speakers

But they are pricey. You might be as well buying a 5.1 setup with optical input.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    oreokidoreokid Posts: 4member
    thanks, i did think that would be the case it looks like i shall be getting some new speakers.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    if you have a 360 you could always use connect360 to share the music between your computer and your 360 and then play ur music from ur 360. That is what I am doing right now.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

if you have a 360 you could always use connect360 to share the music between your computer and your 360 and then play ur music from ur 360. That is what I am doing right now.

I am buying a MBP this week and I was looking at the connect 360 program. Sounds identical to the program they have for the PC to stream audio and pictures if you don't have Winblows MC. My question is will their ever be an app to stream video to the 360? I mean everything runs through ethernet, why can't someone make an app to be able to stream video? Is that possible? (I'm talking about both PC and OSX) I would like to see one for OSX being that I will have my laptop very soon