Apple iBook Confirmed for next two days...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
NB: Despite what that link says, it has been suggested that this has been a regularly appearing lecture for a number of months. Sorry, I guess it was a false alarm. Take a look though. You will see why it seemed to be a confirmation.



Apple iBook Confirmation



iBook Overview



May 10, 2006, from 03:00 PM - 04:00 PM Eastern



Event Number: 45540

Audience: General

Type: Seminar

Fee: 0.00





Description:



- Overview

Hear about the most affordable iBook ever.



- What you will Learn

Specifications and features of the new iBook.



- Featured Solutions

Hear about how the new iBook is your go-anywhere digital solution.



- Who Should Attend

This session is open to anyone who wishes to attend, but is not a training class.



Sponsors:



Apple Computer, Inc.



CompUSA - Apple Store with In a Store

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Most affordable iBook ever, huh? Interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by netdog

    Hear about the most affordable iBook ever.



    That part is good to see. This MUST mean there is on at $999 (or less).

  • Reply 3 of 20
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I think I may have been wrong. See the new top of the post. Argh!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Turn the fire hoses on him!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    belzebuthbelzebuth Posts: 24member
    check here : http://seminars.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...?eventId=37828



    too bad... no macbook before june 20th, all the ibook seminar ending before june 20th :



    check "ibook" here : http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bi...archForm?s=201
  • Reply 6 of 20
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by belzebuth

    check here : http://seminars.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...?eventId=37828



    too bad... no macbook before june 20th, all the ibook seminar ending before june 20th :



    check "ibook" here : http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bi...archForm?s=201




    They'd have to be beyond inept to release it that late in the season.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by belzebuth

    check here : http://seminars.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...?eventId=37828



    too bad... no macbook before june 20th, all the ibook seminar ending before june 20th :



    check "ibook" here : http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bi...archForm?s=201




    I don't think we have to take that schedule very seriously as a prognosticator of a MacBook shipping date.



    It's a trivial change to make the iBook sessions into "MacBook" sessions once it's shipping, and Apple has no incentive to go in and muck about with the nomenclature before it is.



    Think about it-- "I think we can have this thing in people hands somewhere in the mid-May area, assuming everything goes as planned". "Right, better make a note of that on the Apple Seminar web site. Change 'iBook' to 'MacBook" somewhere in there, otherwise it will really confuse everyone".
  • Reply 8 of 20
    catman4d2catman4d2 Posts: 174member
    yeah and tell me when Elvis gets here...



  • Reply 9 of 20
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by addabox

    It's a trivial change to make the iBook sessions into "MacBook" sessions once it's shipping, and Apple has no incentive to go in and muck about with the nomenclature before it is.



    There is no need to change the name of the session, the iBook is the established and recognized product line and will not confuse the potential participants with a name change. All they need to do is state at the beginning of the session that with the updated product comes a new name that fits better with the goals of the product and Apple's Mac identity.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    For the life of me, I can't understand why it's taking them so long to get this product to market. Someone enlighten me.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by backtomac

    For the life of me, I can't understand why it's taking them so long to get this product to market. Someone enlighten me.



    If MacBook Pros weren't giving people tinnitus and lighting their pants on fire, this strategy probably would have sold a lot more MBP 15" units. It would have probably worked with me. As it was, however, it didn't quite play out that way.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by backtomac

    For the life of me, I can't understand why it's taking them so long to get this product to market. Someone enlighten me.



    It's a key product, and one of their biggest sellers. They want a sufficiently large stock that they can turn people loose on them, via land, web, and air freight, and not have to worry about bottlenecking. At least, not so much as usual.



    That along with the quality issues people have encountered with the MBP are probably sufficient reason to exercise a little restraint.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by backtomac

    For the life of me, I can't understand why it's taking them so long to get this product to market. Someone enlighten me.



    There are probably a number of factors including supply of CPU's, Educational purchasing season, the iBook (aka MacBook)'s traditional upswing in sales, potential supplier problems, etc. They could also be waiting on a new wireless networking standard, which if I recall correctly was introduced with the iBook and tied the ibook to educational sales with the wireless classroom on a cart.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by @homenow

    There are probably a number of factors including supply of CPU's, Educational purchasing season, the iBook (aka MacBook)'s traditional upswing in sales, potential supplier problems, etc. They could also be waiting on a new wireless networking standard, which if I recall correctly was introduced with the iBook and tied the ibook to educational sales with the wireless classroom on a cart.



    If they are waiting for the mess that is 802.11n to get sorted, we are really in for a wait.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Is the supply of low clock core duos and core solos that tight? Is this a manufacturing issue that is only affecting Apple? Seems Apple is the only maker with these issues.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by backtomac

    Is the supply of low clock core duos and core solos that tight? Is this a manufacturing issue that is only affecting Apple? Seems Apple is the only maker with these issues.



    Supply of chips might not be an issue, but it could. Apple has 3 product lines right now that are using a relatively new chip, and Apple is just one customer in the industry for all the chips available. Apple's share of that supply might not be enough to fill the need of 3 overlapping product lines with relatively high volume.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JCG

    Supply of chips might not be an issue, but it could. Apple has 3 product lines right now that are using a relatively new chip, and Apple is just one customer in the industry for all the chips available. Apple's share of that supply might not be enough to fill the need of 3 overlapping product lines with relatively high volume.



    Sounds like motorola all over again...



    I'm kidding, of course. That was a whole different level of hell completely.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    kansaskansas Posts: 17member
    I see MacOSRumors is still insisting that the name will stay as "iBook" instead of "MacBook" in line with the naming scheme of the new MacBook Pros. Steve J. did say that they wanted "Mac" in the names. Wonder if he was referring to all Apple Macs or just Pro & Prosumer? Of course, MacOSRumors is always saying "stay tuned" for stories that never materialize.



    Joe
  • Reply 19 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,746member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kansas

    I see MacOSRumors is still insisting that the name will stay as "iBook" instead of "MacBook" in line with the naming scheme of the new MacBook Pros. Steve J. did say that they wanted "Mac" in the names. Wonder if he was referring to all Apple Macs or just Pro & Prosumer? Of course, MacOSRumors is always saying "stay tuned" for stories that never materialize.



    Joe




    If you haven't figured out by now that the new iBooks will be called MacBook, then I suggest it's your bedtime
  • Reply 20 of 20
    kansaskansas Posts: 17member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ireland

    If you haven't figured out by now that the new iBooks will be called MacBook, then I suggest it's your bedtime



    And if you haven't figured out I was making fun of MacOSRumors, then it's time for your bedtime!
Sign In or Register to comment.