Microsoft Codename Max

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I guess here is the first step forward for microsoft ilife applications.

http://www.microsoft.com/max/

Very much apple graphics and style.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

I guess here is the first step forward for microsoft ilife applications.

http://www.microsoft.com/max/

Very much apple graphics and style.

I don't know what to say but WOW...what a piece of shit.

edit: What exactly is this app supposed to do? The purpose isn't clear. It's a new way of reading the paper and photo album maker?

What will Max do next, indeed? Will it add instant messenger and a word processor features?

I'd love to see how this app will pan out. Right now, I'm not too sure how it's supposed to be used.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    If you shift every letter by one do you get "iLife"?

• Reply 3 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Is it just me, or does 'Max' look like a cross between the Automator.app icon, and a Snork?

Nice uh, 'homage' there guys. Cripes, even the page layout looks like something from Apple's website except, y'know... ugly.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Is there anything more horrifying than when MS attempts to work against its faceless corporate image and "get down with the people"?

Quote:

We're excited about our new Annotate feature that lets us draw anything on photos and share them without altering the originals. We've been busy enhancing our photos with clever notes and sketches. Now you can try it too!

"Us"? So everybody over at the Max team is crowding around a monitor, adding "clever" sketches? The mind reels. I'm picturing Monkey Boy with huge genitalia.

And this is actually a little alarming:

Quote:

We are not robots. We're a bunch of creative people excited about making a great piece of software and improving it as often as we can.

In my experience, entities that have to actually go out of their way to disabuse people of the notion that they are "robots" are, generally, crafty robots.

And what are the chances that the thumbnails shown are actual MS employees and not more of the stock photography MS is so fond of?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

"Us"? So everybody over at the Max team is crowding around a monitor, adding "clever" sketches? The mind reels. I'm picturing Monkey Boy with huge genitalia.

I don't know, the only sketch I see on the Max site says "10 millimeters!!!"

And for the record, I loathe the interface. Remember Bob? Seems products named after common three-letter male names are not their strong suit. If Apple ever designs something that looks like that, those responsible should be summarily shot.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This is insain! they copied the shadow amount and direction of the drop shadows for the windows... the table reflection...hell, they call it MAX...for goodness sake...why doesnt MS just be honest, buy Apple and call it MS consumer research, Cupertino Division..
  • Reply 7 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Max is essentially a demo app for the WinFX framework, showing off some features. I don't think they currently intend for it to be an actual "useful" application.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So it *will* ship as a product then...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    max= Mac's

as in: "Make it like a Mac's"

• Reply 10 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I wonder how long it's going to take MS to figure out that promiscuous use of transparency makes for neat looking screen shots but actually makes the UI harder to use.

Apple learned that lesson by, what, 10.2?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I wonder how long it's going to take MS to figure out that promiscuous use of transparency makes for neat looking screen shots but actually makes the UI harder to use.

Apple learned that lesson by, what, 10.2?

Come on, let MS have its fun like Apple did back in 10.0 and 10.1. It's the first time they can offer an interface with alpha-blending capabilities.