MacBook Pro and Merom

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So it looks that the MBP with the Merom chip will probably come up at WWDC or short after.

I wanted to buy the 17MBP that just came out but many people advice me to wait for the merom because it will be a much better investment due his 64bit capability

I hear that the cpu will about 20% faster,but the really advantage will be to be able to use more RAM memory

That this means that we will have MBP with 4G RAM?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by etto72

    That this means that we will have MBP with 4G RAM?



    You can already have that. Trouble is, 2 GB sticks of RAM, of which you would need two, cost around one grand each right now. 64-bit makes absolutely zero difference for that.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    I wouldn't look for new MacBooks at WWDC, it will be all about Leopard preview and MacPro's. Apple will probably be updating some of the other computers around then to adjust to the new chips that Intel is releasing, but the reality is that those chips probably won't be available in large enough quantity untill September/October to warrent a complete switch over. This is especially true since Apple is now competing with Dell and other big players for their share of chips.



    The question is which computer's in what order and which ones will require a special event vs. a press release. Since the iMac and MacBook Pros were released at the same time it is a good bet that they will have chip upgrades in the fall. I would assume that the MacBook Pro and iMacs, if they move to a new chip, will require a special event. The Mac Mini will most likely have a press release changing their configuration and pricing to be more in line with the old G4 Mini's since the Yona's are apparently coming down in price. The Mac Book will have just been released, possibly showing the direction of the comming updates with the speed's/configurations that they release. If they match the MacBook Pro's expect a speed boost to the Pro's as soon as Apple can. If not then I think the iMac will get the speed boost first to better compete in the consumer space.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think MBPs will be the first macs to get Merom chips and will get them as soon as they are available. Why? To justify the premium price of MBPs will force Apple to upgrade. They won't be able to sell 17in MBPs with ICD for $2700 later this year as intel drops ICD prices. There already are $750 laptops with ICD in them. Now I'm not saying the iMac won't get Merom or Conroe but MBPs will need the upgrade first.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    MacBook Pro will get Merom as soon as available in large quantities, but the timing we may not know exactly like wise MacBooks (even though yonah released few months earlier than MacBook which are going to follow suit)



    me also contemplating between iMac/MacBook/MacBook pro, will be moving to States in 4th Quarter for work, playing wait and see game



    some one may advise me, is it cheaper to get one in states or in singapore... singapore the price is exactly the same (1 US$=1.6 SGD), most of the time promotion for double RAM available here ...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    etto72etto72 Posts: 19member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    You can already have that. Trouble is, 2 GB sticks of RAM, of which you would need two, cost around one grand each right now. 64-bit makes absolutely zero difference for that.



    As far i heard around you can't add more than 2G that system would not read all what is over 2G
  • Reply 6 of 11
    smalmsmalm Posts: 667member
    That was the PowerMac G4 MDD
  • Reply 7 of 11
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by backtomac

    I think MBPs will be the first macs to get Merom chips and will get them as soon as they are available. Why? To justify the premium price of MBPs will force Apple to upgrade. They won't be able to sell 17in MBPs with ICD for $2700 later this year as intel drops ICD prices. There already are $750 laptops with ICD in them. Now I'm not saying the iMac won't get Merom or Conroe but MBPs will need the upgrade first.



    I'm not saying that the iMac will get a Morem, but if it does the timming, August/September release, would be more advantagious for Apple to put that upgrade in an iMac for the back to school season. This would also go in line with Apples larger focus on the consumer market.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by @homenow

    I'm not saying that the iMac will get a Morem, but if it does the timming, August/September release, would be more advantagious for Apple to put that upgrade in an iMac for the back to school season. This would also go in line with Apples larger focus on the consumer market.



    I guess I misunderstood you. I can see iMac getting Conroe this summer if it is available as planned. I just think Apple is really digging in it's heals on it's current pricing structure. In order to do so, they'll need to keep the most high end processor available in the MBP. Comps with pcs are inevitable. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bellbell Posts: 8member
    I passed 70-290 with 1000/1000 today, and I can refer a good site, pass4sure.com



    I am a fresh man for the certification, and my company need employee get MCSE2003 cert in 3 month, I start with some MOC books and frustrated with huge contents. and I failed at the first try for 70-290, but I met a friend who taking 70-290 also, he passed easily, and I know from him a good site named pass4sure.com, I used 70-290 from Pass4sure, every questions WORD 4 WORD was on the test. Unlike testking where you have to read huge number of questions (which more than half will never be on the test) these were easy to read b/c only about 200 even fewer questions. They also don't change any wording or layout like testking.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by etto72

    So it looks that the MBP with the Merom chip will probably come up at WWDC or short after.

    I wanted to buy the 17MBP that just came out but many people advice me to wait for the merom because it will be a much better investment due his 64bit capability

    I hear that the cpu will about 20% faster,but the really advantage will be to be able to use more RAM memory

    That this means that we will have MBP with 4G RAM?




    It's all about whether you need a MacBook Pro now or not. As far as RAM, 64 bit has the advantage of using MORE than 4GB RAM. As far as speed, Merom (or Core 2 Duo, as Intel has decided to call the shipping product), will offer up to 20% more performance than watt. That means a laptop with the same amount of battery life could be up to 20% faster.



    Once those come out, obviously another 6 months or 8 months or whatever it is, newer faster MBP's will come out. So you could decide to wait again. Just saying, it makes more sense to get it when you need it, in this case.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    smalmsmalm Posts: 667member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    You can already have that. Trouble is, 2 GB sticks of RAM, of which you would need two, cost around one grand each right now. 64-bit makes absolutely zero difference for that.



    Just as a reminder: You are not able to use all 4GB on a MBP as the chipset will cut off a part of the 32-bit adresses for internal use - usually 0.2GB - 0.5GB. So 64-bit will make a difference!
Sign In or Register to comment.