Is this forum against people with epilepsy?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
A friend of mine has epilepsy and finds it difficult to be in the same room as me when I'm on the Apple Insider forums because of the flashing "Warning" ad images. And the new ads, the flasing "Congratulations" ads with the egg timers and the yellow exclamation marks make it even worse.

I'm not saying you guys did this intentionally, but it is worth looking at. Maybe you might consider changing your policies on flashing ads. It's my olny gripe with this site, and my friend would sure love to join in the discussions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

A friend of mine has epilepsy and finds it difficult to be in the same room as me when I'm on the Apple Insider forums because of the flashing "Warning" ad images. And the new ads, the flasing "Congratulations" ads with the egg timers and the yellow exclamation marks make it even worse.

I'm not saying you guys did this intentionally, but it is worth looking at. Maybe you might consider changing your policies on flashing ads. It's my olny gripe with this site, and my friend would sure love to join in the discussions.

Hey somebody has to pay the bills.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    you could turn off javascript, then you will just get static ads
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    A note: This should probably be in the 'Feedback' forum.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Hey somebody has to pay the bills.

Well, then they should have better ads that are actually effective. And introduce a paid ad-free version.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Moved.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You'd think that they'd come up with more effective ads for a tech forum. We know those flashing ads are crap. We know that we're not the millionth visitor to this site. Give us ads for MacMall or something. Jeez.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Use firefox with ADBLOCK plugin and filterset.G plugin, click the Amazon link when you need something to make up for it on the karma train.

And Kasper, just switch to ADsence already so I can add AI to the filter-byppassed sites list in adblock!

Contextual ads would KICK ASS in a forum like this; if someone mentions an obscure application or hardware device, there would most likly be an ad for it so we could maybe buy some of this stuff without searching, more clicks means more $$$$ for AI and let me tell you one more secret, NO ONE IS CLICKING ON THE HYPERACTIVE MONKEY (or whatever the animal of the week is...)