Wireless Monitors???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is this something thats realisticlly possible for everyday home use? Is it something we all might see from Apple, or is it just a waste of money? I think the less wires the better, I hate how the back of my desk gets tied up with all sorts of crap. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

I hate how the back of my desk gets tied up with all sorts of crap. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Get an iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I need a better computer then that. iMacs are limiting to what I need to do.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "Wireless Monitors" They are already available, they're called NoteBooks. There's a new one called the MacBook Pro. What exactly is your point?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

I need a better computer then that. iMacs are limiting to what I need to do.

r u hax0r???
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Wow, you guys are a bunch of duh duh, duh duhs huh? LOL I'm talking about for your tower...You know, desktop computers?? Ones that you would do heavy graphic design or heavy film editing on. Even a Mac mini will prove my point here if your not seeing my point. They have boxes that transmit VGA wirelessly, but right now they are VERY expensive. I was asking if you think Apple would try to incorperate that into future designs. I wasn't asking about notebooks lol.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Wow, you guys are a bunch of duh duh, duh duhs huh? LOL I'm talking about for your tower...You know, desktop computers?? Ones that you would do heavy graphic design or heavy film editing on. Even a Mac mini will prove my point here if your not seeing my point. They have boxes that transmit VGA wirelessly, but right now they are VERY expensive. I was asking if you think Apple would try to incorperate that into future designs. I wasn't asking about notebooks lol.

They know. They're just being bast***s.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Groups of two words:

-Bandwidth Limitations

-High latency

-friggin expensive

• Reply 8 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    A wireless monitor would require several gigabits in bandwidth. You could cut this down significantly by adding compression, but this also reduces image quality. Some products like projectors use a similar technology, where refresh rates and resolutions are less important.

A quick Google search returned THIS. To be completely wireless, you would need a battery pack too, but since some LCD screens are powered by the DVI port, this adapter won't work.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    Wireless monitors, such as they are, would hardly be great for graphics intensive work anyway (see latency point above).
  • Reply 10 of 11
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    One tradeoff would be to use 2 computers.

Something similar to an iMac with little processor power and very heavy GPU power using wireless network to talk to an xserve or PowerMac configured with very heavy CPU and little GPU.

WindowServer process runs on display unit while everything else runs on the processing unit. Then, inter process communication over network for display.

Too bad the only way to do this now is using X11. \
  • Reply 11 of 11
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    a wireless monitor makes no sense right now. it would be horrible to use.