Ugh ... RSS ads

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
The first thing I usually do when I start seeing RSS ads is drop the feed, which inevitably means I'll no longer be visiting the site.

RSS in and of itself is an ad. The content summary is an ad to get people to come to your site. Whoever it was who came up with the idea of adding ads to RSS feeds has a seriously flawed business model. It's like boy on the city corner selling newspapers yelling "Extra! Extra! Read all about it: Mac OS X 10.4.7 to tackle mail and browser issues! Find the best deal on Hermera Technologies The Big Box Of Art Minis! Lowest Price at TigerDirect.com!" You ain't gonna sell too many newspapers with that approach.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Well, now I see we're going to animated junk in the RSS. Sorry, but I'm going to be bailing on AppleInsider soon.

When the data being sent for the ad is an order of magnitude larger than the headline you're trying to convey, you've really lost touch.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well, now I see we're going to animated junk in the RSS. Sorry, but I'm going to be bailing on AppleInsider soon.

When the data being sent for the ad is an order of magnitude larger than the headline you're trying to convey, you've really lost touch.

Send a PM to Kasper about this.