MS Office pages

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Stuck sheet

At times, in an Office app, the sheet gets up under the toolbar and is difficult to move. Clicking on desktop will remove the toolbar, but clicking on the sheet returns the toolbar and sheet still can?t be moved. Expose doesn't help.

At present, I leave a gap between segments of toolbar, and window can be accessed in the gap.

Is there a better way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sequitur

Stuck sheet

At times, in an Office app, the sheet gets up under the toolbar and is difficult to move. Clicking on desktop will remove the toolbar, but clicking on the sheet returns the toolbar and sheet still can?t be moved. Expose doesn't help.

At present, I leave a gap between segments of toolbar, and window can be accessed in the gap.

Is there a better way?

Don't know about any one else, but I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

Can you take a screen shot (press command-shift-3, a new file will appear on your desktop that is an image of your screen. This can be opened in Preview and exported as a jpg) and post it so we all know what you are talking about?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Don't know about any one else, but I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

Can you take a screen shot (press command-shift-3, a new file will appear on your desktop that is an image of your screen. This can be opened in Preview and exported as a jpg) and post it so we all know what you are talking about?

Sorry, I can't seem to get that to work. I'll try to explain again. For example:

In 'Word', if I want to see the entire document, the top of it is up under the toolbar. I can move a section of the toolbar away and then the top of the document is visible and I can move it. This is a pain, but is the only way I have found to get the document out from under the toolbar.

I can't get the curser under the toolbar to click on the top of the document in order to move it. If I click on the desktop, the toolbar disappears. However, when I then try to move the document, the toolbar appears again and covers the top of the document making it inaccessible.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Sorry, I can't seem to get that to work. I'll try to explain again. For example:

In 'Word', if I want to see the entire document, the top of it is up under the toolbar. I can move a section of the toolbar away and then the top of the document is visible and I can move it. This is a pain, but is the only way I have found to get the document out from under the toolbar.

I can't get the curser under the toolbar to click on the top of the document in order to move it. If I click on the desktop, the toolbar disappears. However, when I then try to move the document, the toolbar appears again and covers the top of the document making it inaccessible.

I don't really know what you mean by "to see the entire document." I imagine that you are expanding the window instead of using the Zoom function, which makes the type smaller so the doc fits on the screen. If you grab the top of the document with your cursor you can drag it down from below the toolbars and click on the green plus symbol. This should size the window efficiently. If you would like to see the entire doc, go to View-->Zoom-->Whole Page, or if you want to remove the toolbars temporarily, select in View "Full Screen."

--B
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I know what he means.

Office for Mac lets documents slide under the toolbar and there is no way to get to the title bar of the document to move it.

Here is an example

(DNS is gone - image link removed until fixed)

See how the title bar of the document "Worksheet.xls" is under the toolbar with the x and checkmarks and calculator and equal sign on it?

The only way to fix this temporarily, if you get stuck, is to choose "Zoom Window" (or any other window command, actually) from the Window menu. Just keep enough space there to be able to grab the document.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

I know what he means.

Office for Mac lets documents slide under the toolbar and there is no way to get to the title bar of the document to move it.

Here is an example

See how the title bar of the document "Worksheet.xls" is under the toolbar with the x and checkmarks and calculator and equal sign on it?

The only way to fix this temporarily, if you get stuck, is to choose "Zoom Window" (or any other window command, actually) from the Window menu. Just keep enough space there to be able to grab the document.

That works! Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Never noticed that particular problem. You two shouldn't have either. A simple key combo turns a mouse click anywhere on the window into a "move", as if it were on the toolbar. Just as ctrl-click is a right-click, this adds another functionality.

Window Dragon

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16952

--B
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Never noticed that particular problem. You two shouldn't have either. A simple key combo turns a mouse click anywhere on the window into a "move", as if it were on the toolbar. Just as ctrl-click is a right-click, this adds another functionality.

Window Dragon

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16952

--B

Thanks.

Window Dragon works well with the apps shown in the Application Enhancer; however, the Enhancer is not showing Office apps - Word, Excel, etc. - which are the ones I need. There are instructions to exclude apps, but I can't find instructions to add additional apps to the Enhancer. The following comes from the WD instructions:

"Any applications running while WindowDragon is installed will not be patched by WindowDragon."

I was careful to follow that direction. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Depends on the verison of Word. Word isn't completely compatible with Window Dragon. On my machine, (Office 2004 v. 11) Word doesn't respond to WD, and Excel doesn't respond to WD's resize key combo. Excel does, however, work fine with the move window key combo. Maybe if you upgraded Office.

--B
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Depends on the verison of Word. Word isn't completely compatible with Window Dragon. On my machine, (Office 2004 v. 11) Word doesn't respond to WD, and Excel doesn't respond to WD's resize key combo. Excel does, however, work fine with the move window key combo. Maybe if you upgraded Office.

--B

You're on target. Knowing that WD could work on Excel and Powerpoint, I fumbled around and they finally did work with WD. So did other windows. Alas, WD doesn't work with my Word either. I have Office 2004 v.11.1. I'm not sure there is a newer version.

My Excel does respond to the resize key, but it is useless because it doesn't add cells - just blank space.

At first, I thought the problem might be other Mouse 1 applets, but closing them made no difference. I use One Finger Snap which makes a virtual two button mouse by holding down the mouse for a fraction of a second - up pops the right button menu. I also use Milky Way - one click on a .jpg etc.

brings up the picture which can be resized much larger than column view thumbnail.

I'm impressed with you guys and your knowledge of the Mac - and apps.

I've purchased several Mac manuals and while they are okay for obvious stuff,

they don't have a lot of 'under the hood' info.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

You're on target. Knowing that WD could work on Excel and Powerpoint, I fumbled around and they finally did work with WD. So did other windows. Alas, WD doesn't work with my Word either. I have Office 2004 v.11.1. I'm not sure there is a newer version.

My Excel does respond to the resize key, but it is useless because it doesn't add cells - just blank space.

At first, I thought the problem might be other Mouse 1 applets, but closing them made no difference. I use One Finger Snap which makes a virtual two button mouse by holding down the mouse for a fraction of a second - up pops the right button menu. I also use Milky Way - one click on a .jpg etc.

brings up the picture which can be resized much larger than column view thumbnail.

I'm impressed with you guys and your knowledge of the Mac - and apps.

I've purchased several Mac manuals and while they are okay for obvious stuff,

they don't have a lot of 'under the hood' info.

Update: With one exception, WD works with every app I tried with it. With some, the resize key acted a little funky and was of no value, but the drag worked fine with everything else. As you said, the one app that doesn't work with WD is Word. Fortunately, Lundy's answer to the problem - zoom - pulls the Word document from under the tool bar and solves my problem.