installing classic... into tiger

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, here's the situation. i have bought or been given several great back-in-the-day classic mac games, or mac games that are even pretty current, but their installers ON THE DISCS are os 9 installers. i have the software restore cd that came with my computer. in fact, my dual g4 1.25 ghz is the last mac to BOOT classic. i am running tiger now. problem is, the software restore application that my oem dvd installs have NO IDEA how to run under tiger, and asks for the dvd to be inserted, which is screwy because it's the dvd i installed the software restore app from.

i booted from the dvd, but it only gives me an option to install 10.2.6, the system that came with the computer. um, no.

anyone know how i can get a USABLE classic environment on this computer, without reformatting everything. i don't even need classic to run VERY MUCH. just enough to install the apps and launch them. several of them have os x carbon updaters, but they require the os 9 version to be installed beforehand.

i also have a bootable os 9 cd i can use, but i don't dare use it to install unless i KNOW i won't end up wiping my main drive by accident. i was also thinking of installing os 9 with that install cd onto an external hard drive, then copying all of those files over to my main partition. would that work?

many thanks, as always folks. it's been a LONG TIME since i worked with classic, and i feel like such an idiot, considering all of the classic os 9 kung fu i used to wield.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,375moderator
    What I did was get a classic installation, update it to the latest version 9.2.2 or something. Then I just compressed the system folder (about 200MB) as a dmg and backed that up. Any system since then, all I do is mount the dmg, copy the system folder it works.

So I'd say to install onto an external drive and then copy it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

What I did was get a classic installation, update it to the latest version 9.2.2 or something. Then I just compressed the system folder (about 200MB) as a dmg and backed that up. Any system since then, all I do is mount the dmg, copy the system folder it works.

So I'd say to install onto an external drive and then copy it.

yeah, i think that'll be my first step. i'm in a bit better position, since i can actually boot from os 9, to pull this off, but i need to remember to back up that system folder once it's created.

i'll let you know how it goes.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, after a LOT of issues (like my os 9 install cd was 9.2.1, which did not like running from my dualie, but DID run from our pismo), i got 9.2.1 installed on the external firewire, BUT the 9.2.2 updater refuses to run on the install (and in an odd symptom, at one point, it RENAMED my external firewire drive "Pure HFS Plus"...WTF?!?) it seems to be working, at least to launch stuff in classic, but anyone know why the 9.2.2 updater won't run? my current guess is that it's having trouble recognizing the sheer SIZE of my external drive (280 GB)...

maybe i could copy that system folder to a mounted .dmg and run the updater on THAT. any other ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

well, after a LOT of issues (like my os 9 install cd was 9.2.1, which did not like running from my dualie, but DID run from our pismo), i got 9.2.1 installed on the external firewire, BUT the 9.2.2 updater refuses to run on the install (and in an odd symptom, at one point, it RENAMED my external firewire drive "Pure HFS Plus"...WTF?!?) it seems to be working, at least to launch stuff in classic, but anyone know why the 9.2.2 updater won't run? my current guess is that it's having trouble recognizing the sheer SIZE of my external drive (280 GB)...

maybe i could copy that system folder to a mounted .dmg and run the updater on THAT. any other ideas?

Well, if your OS 9 System folder is on your external drive, all you have to do is copy the system folder to your internal hard drive to run from the computer. If you can get OS 9 to boot after copying the system folder over, then I'd try running the updater, but this may not work. I had a copy of OS 9 that after I restoring my iMac G4 and upgrading to 10.3.9, I tried using to install OS 9. Unfortunately, panther, and I'm sure Tiger now, will not allow anything less than OS 9.2 to be installed. You're not in a position to start over so I'd just suggest that you copy the system folder to your internal. The 9.2.2 updater may not like looking to an external drive to update the files.