increasing system speed, functionality, cleaning up , etc.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
just wondering what apps any of you would suggest for the above jobs. along with any other tips to keep my system running at top speed. (cleaning up unneeded files, etc.)

intel mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andy1908

just wondering what apps any of you would suggest for the above jobs. along with any other tips to keep my system running at top speed. (cleaning up unneeded files, etc.)

intel mac.

MacOS X is not Windows. Don't worry about it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andy1908

intel mac.

check these out:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/index.html

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/

http://www.lachoseinteractive.net/en...processwizard/

http://mapage.noos.fr/campahunta/index.html
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

MacOS X is not Windows. Don't worry about it.

just because mac os X isn't windows doesn't mean it doesn't require maintenance to maintain optimal performance... See above post.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

just because mac os X isn't windows doesn't mean it doesn't require maintenance to maintain optimal performance... See above post.

First, this is not the question that the OP asked. Second, just because people write utlities doesn't mean they are needed. It should not go unnoticed that, with the exception of Coctail, everything you linked to are monitors, not repair utilities.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

First, this is not the question that the OP asked.

He didn't ask wether Mac OS X was Windows either.

Quote:

Second, just because people write utlities doesn't mean they are needed.

Wrong. It's a simple issue of supply and demand. If there's no demand for it, the supply will not be there either.

Quote:

It should not go unnoticed that, with the exception of Coctail, everything you linked to are monitors, not repair utilities.

It's Cocktail, not Coctail.

Google for OnyX, MacJanitor, TinkerTool.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

First, this is not the question that the OP asked. Second, just because people write utlities doesn't mean they are needed. It should not go unnoticed that, with the exception of Coctail, everything you linked to are monitors, not repair utilities.

1) Umm wtf are u talking about? He ASKED for these apps.. clearly he WANTS them so whether or not you think he needs them is irrelevant.

2)You are completely wrong as there were utilities linked in every URL I posted... The first URL just happened to also contain links for some monitors as well as Tinkertool. Aside from the first URL, none of those links had anything to do with monitors.

post something useful/interesting or keep quiet
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Cache cleaning is needed sometimes, and there are several of them in OSX. I solved persistent problems in OSX by cleaning caches up (and more) with Onyx. Great tool, and it's free too.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I would recommend repairig disk permissions after every software installation/update, and otherwise doing it every two weeks. Cache cleaning every 2 weeks is a good idea as well.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    I could use a method of diagnosing performance issues. The standard methods work ok like repairing permissions, disk checking and cache cleaning but what do you do when those methods still don't work?

I want a utility that performs a test suite that lets me know where the bottleneck in the system is. Ideally this suite would have options for finding network bottlenecks too.

Unix has a lot of scripts that set preferences for system operation. Now how would anyone know if some unsuspecting app changed a system setting that affected performance?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    I really like Applejack. You start it up from single user mode (cmd+s at startup), by typing AppleJack auto + return and let it do its thing.

The best thing about it is that is allows you to repair the startup-disk without booting from another disk/dvd/cd. but it also automates most cleanup tasks in an efficient way. Also very good for remote Mom support
  • Reply 11 of 13
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    The best system cleaning app is Monolingual. It's free, and strips your system of useless languages (ie: everything but English for me) as well as binaries that are compiled for architectures other than my G4, such as PPC64 and X86. It has saved probably a Gig of HD space, if not more.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Cocktail and MacJanitor largely provide an easy way to manually run the system maintenance scripts that are set to run automatically in the middle of the night. They're only necessary if you don't leave your computer on (and awake) at night. Many of the tasks are also not that relevant to normal OS X users. Religiously updating the locate database isn't too critical if you don't know what locate(1) is, few of us have mail spools, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mowenbrownmowenbrown Posts: 153member
    I think anyone should be careful about some of these. This is only my opinion, but Macs run well enough "as-is" with most of this stuff,and some of these apps seem to make matters worse if you aren't sure what you are doing. For example:

"ATIccelerator II comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. If you destroy your costly X800 XT or your now worthless Rage 128 because of a bug in this program or your careless utilisation of it, you're on your own!"

The best Mac utility comes in book form from Amazon or your local book or apple store.