MacBook HD cloning help wanted...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'd like to clone my MacBook 60gb drive to the new Hitachi 100gb 7200 drive I bought. What's the best way to do it? Here's what I am lucky enough to have available:

Hardware:

New 100gb PATA 7200 drive

MacBook with 60gb drive

iMac (intel)

External Firewire Drive (88gb free)

Gigabit switch

Software:

.mac / Backup 3

Apple Remote Desktop 3

Possibly Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper (could purchase)

Any tips on getting the 60gb OS X installation to the 100gb drive using what I have? The 60gb drive is not bootcamped so I don't have any NTFS issues. I think I have plenty of options but I want to go as painless as possible, meaning I don't want to reinstall OS X.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Use SuperDuper. It's free if all you do is clone. Incremental updates and other little things require you to purchase a licence but not cloning.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Use SuperDuper. It's free if all you do is clone. Incremental updates and other little things require you to purchase a licence but not cloning.

ok. so i'm looking for tips on the whole process...

should i hook up the macbook to the imac in target disk mode, then use superduper to image it to the attached firewire drive, then superduper it back to the 100gb drive after i've installed it and hooked back up in target disk mode? not sure if that works or not...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    I used Drive Genius for mine. I did the same thing with my MBP, upgraded to the 100GB 7200 RPM drive.