iMovie in OSX crashes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Students in my class have been editing movies on my 667 G4. Out of about 20 moives five of them crashed and could not be reloaded, the program crashed as soon a they loaded the clips, and on two of them we couldn't load the sound tracks at the end, the program crashed every time we tried. ON three of these crahes, the original tape had to be re-imported. I never had this problem with the OS9 version. Anybody know what's going on? I'd hate to be back on OS9 next year, but this performance is simply un-acceptable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Sounds weird but I cant help as I've not had any bad experiences in OSX with iMovie ( so far - 5 projects ).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    seppakseppak Posts: 38member
    Did you install QuickTime 6?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Same problem as norfa, here.

iMovie is quite crashprone on my B/W G3. (it crashes once an hour, quite disappointing),

but now (this problem just apperared this afternoon), I can't load iMovie anymore: it quits on launch.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    Sounds like what happened to me Franck, once the files become corrupted, iMovie crashes as soon as it loads. I've started backing up my files on the second drive I installed. I may lose work, but i don't lose everything. I save a working copy and start working.If it crashes I can reload the last copy that worked. Sure was a pain though, The end of the school year, all the kids are trying to get their assignments done , and the machine is costing me hours in maintenance and back up time. I coulda done the same on windows for cheaper.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    I found that after removing my Quicktime 6 install and going back to 5 fixed the majority of my problems. Appls has a QT5 reinstaller on their website due to this problem. Apparently, QT6 and iMovie are not yet compatible.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    Thanks . I'll check that, but I don't think QT6 is on those machines. I never put betas on school equipment, and the since I put QUicktime 6 on a partition on this machine , it hasn't booted from that partition. Iv'e tried, it just crashes somewhere in the startup process. So right now, QT6 and I are not on speaking terms.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Deleting iMovie's prefs may help.

I had a big problem last night.

iMovie crashed while saving my project and when I tried to re-lauch it, iMovie said the my project file was corrupted and that it couldn't load the movie.

I almost cried, because it was my first 1h+ project and I thought all my work was destroyed, even if all individual files sill sit in the "media" folder.

I discovered the the project file is in fact a text file listing all entries. I deleted the wrong entry (a reference of an AIFF file was missing) and I could load my restored project after that.

PS: don't forget to work with a copy of the file.

type/creator for iMovie projects are TeXT/Hway