Disk image stability

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I work with a HVX-200 video camera and it records on solid state memory (P2 card). The video information is wrapped in a mxf file.

The original workflow in the white papers was to create a folder and put the mxf file in that folder to be accessed by final cut pro. Now Apple has informed me that I should make a disk image of the P2 card instead of dragging the files to a folder. They say it is more stable and secure. Why? What difference does it make?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If there were hidden files accompanying your video from the camera, they wouldn't be copied to your drive using your method. A disk image copies everything bit by bit so if you need those files (or an app you use) they will be there.

That's my guess but, hey, if a system works for you, use it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

If there were hidden files accompanying your video from the camera, they wouldn't be copied to your drive using your method. A disk image copies everything bit by bit so if you need those files (or an app you use) they will be there.

That's my guess but, hey, if a system works for you, use it.

I've done both methods and they both work. I have had problems on occasion with the "cooy to folder" method. My question is why would a disk image be more stable?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    From what I can tell, creating a Disk Image does not rely on the Finder to manipulate data. This cuts out the middle man and allows you to access the media in its native environment (FAT32 or whatnot) instead of copying it to OS X's format, HFS+. It may be more "stable" because it doesn't have to convert between formats.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

<Snip> Totally hit caps lock while typing. Re-doing.

What do you mean?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I was typing my reply and accidently hit caps lock. That made me look like a raving madman and I was shouting at you. I am neither.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, there's some argument on that first part, but in this case Ebby is correct.

Creating a Disk Image uses the lower level disk manipulation APIs, and bypasses the Finder completely. In doing so, it provides a way to create an *exact* copy, as Ebby said, instead of the filtering that the Finder will do. Fer instance - if you open a folder that has hidden files in it (say, prepended with a period), and do a Select-All (Cmd-A) and then copy, you only get the visible files. The files whose names start with a period aren't copied. (Duplicating the folder, or copying through a drag, however, does get you those hidden files.) The Finder is overly helpful at times, but usually does the right thing from the GUI point of view. Sometimes, however, you need a more precise control on the copying process, and creating a Disk Image allows that.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thanks Ebby... You rock!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    You too kickaha... Thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    BTW... How does one know if there are hidden files in a folder?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    You can use a utility called OnyX to fuddle with the inner workings of our computer. One option is "Show hidden items" and you'll see just how many there are all over the place.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Deveraux

BTW... How does one know if there are hidden files in a folder?

Let's say you want to know if there are hidden files in "Folder A", and "Folder A" is inside "Folder B".

1.) Launch Terminal, which can be found in the utilities folder inside the applications folder.

2.) Now switch back to the finder and open "Folder B".

3.) Position the terminal window and the finder window so that you can see both at the same time.

4.) Switch to terminal, and type "cd ", (that's cd followed by a space) without the quotes, then drag and drop "Folder A" from the finder to the terminal window, and press return (make sure Terminal is active when you press return).

5.) Now, type "ls -af", without the quotes, and press return. What you get is a complete listing of all the files in the folder, including anything invisible.

If you want to know more about the cd or ls commands, type "man cd" or "man ls" at the command prompt in terminal and press return.

You may also like to go and read up on stuff here