Multi-chat client like Trillian for the Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend multi-chat client that operates like Trillian (Windows) but for Mac? I'd like to integrate all my accounts into one app.

I'm currently using OS 9.2 for now but plan to transition over to OSX in the fall when I have more $$$ to get the apps I need for productivity.

Any helps or leads would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

BG

A side note: Will the new iChat app coming out with Jaquar also integrate Yahoo, ICQ, and MSN lists besides Apple's agreement with AOL?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    For OS X, I use Fire. It has AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, irc, and Jabber. You can find it at <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com."; target="_blank">www.versiontracker.com.</a>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I like Proteus a lot. The only issue I have is that it does not allow for file transfers. But it handles all the major IM accounts. It can also be found at VersionTracker.com.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    iChat is a client only for AOL's Instant Messenger.

Remember: the keyword for the 'i' apps is simplicity.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Then I don't see a point for iChat? Only AIM? Why wouldn't I just use AIM since I actually think it's better. The iChat interface doesn't look good to me.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    *shrug* another one of these arguments...

1. iChat doesn't have advertisements.

2. iChat can be used to see the clients on a local network.

3. Mail has support for iChat, allowing you to see if a user is online when you read an e-mail from him/her.

4. You can now use a single @mac.com name instead of having to keep several different accounts. This is a great boon for newbies.

5. iChat comes with your Mac, no need to download additional software. Again, a boon for newbies.

6. The iChat interface can be greatly customized. Not to the extent of Adium, but far more than the official AIM client. Don't knock it 'til you try it. I think it looks better in person than in the screenshots.

7. Why only AIM? See #3.

and last but not least

8. You don't have to use iChat if you don't want to. It's not integrated like Explorer is in Windows. If you don't like it, use a different app. People ahve already pointed out here that Fire and Proteus are good multi-IM clients.

I'll say it again: the 'i' apps are built for simplicity and ease of use to beginners. If you want a more advanced program, you are free to go out and get it yourself.

[ 06-23-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Alright cool.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    For now I use Fire.app (a better place is to get it here from the source <a href="http://www.epicware.com"; target="_blank">Epicware</a> but once 10.2 comes out I'll switch to iChat.