Vista Beta 2 is a complete mess

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Check out these screen shots for installing the pig:

http://www.eweek.com/slideshow/0,1206,a=179025,00.asp

This thing is going to be a summer release at the earliest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Looks confusing to me. As the OS on a new computer purchase, it may be palatable. For Win XP users to upgrade I bet it'll be a nightmare.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    Looking at the crappy interface, I think it's probably just as easy for a user to move from XP to OS X than it is to move from XP to Vista. If your going to learn the Sidebar and Windows version of Expose, you might as well just switch to a Mac because the effort is the same. In fact, it would be nice if Apple had a way to point this out to the world.
  • Reply 3 of 99
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Gee, soliciting comments about Vista on a Mac forum? Desperate for a flamewar?
  • Reply 4 of 99
    I'm sure they never talk aboutn Macs or OSX at windows forums.
  • Reply 5 of 99
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I'm sure they never talk aboutn Macs or OSX at windows forums.

What difference does it make?

I simply do not understand this mentality to bemoan Windows on a Mac forum. It certainly must be a sign of boredom.
  • Reply 6 of 99
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    No no, it's so that we can be smug in our smog of smugness...
  • Reply 7 of 99
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

No no, it's so that we can be smug in our smog of smugness...

No, it's so we can appreciate what we have.

MS seems to have spent a lot of effort on graphics, but it still looks like your typical illogical Windows inner workings, if not even more confusing than before.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    Adding insult to injury is the fact that to run Vista one will need a system that I'm willing to bet most average computer users will not be able to afford anyway based on the hardware requirements.
  • Reply 9 of 99
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Hardware moves quickly... so its hard to predict where it will be when the Vista is released.

Vista is break from a lot of the past just like the OSX was from OS 9, but it must be done. It will be difficult since the choice of hardware is, well, limitless. It will be bloated in the beginning because it has to retain some of the compatibility with the old, but it as the time goes by, it will be honed and streamlined.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Vista is break from a lot of the past just like the OSX was from OS 9, but it must be done.

Do you think it is that huge? Does that mean Mac OS X is at least 5 years ahead regarding Vista?
  • Reply 11 of 99
    Quote:

Hardware moves quickly... so its hard to predict where it will be when the Vista is released.

Vista is break from a lot of the past just like the OSX was from OS 9, but it must be done. It will be difficult since the choice of hardware is, well, limitless. It will be bloated in the beginning because it has to retain some of the compatibility with the old, but it as the time goes by, it will be honed and streamlined.

I agree. Out of the gate, I think vista will suck. A couple of years down the road and it will be pretty good.
  • Reply 12 of 99
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I agree. Out of the gate, I think vista will suck. A couple of years down the road and it will be pretty good.

a couple of years down the road we'll be running OS X Elephant, the one that stomps on all others. Hopefully those OS W (vista kernal) rumors aren't true, but we'll see...
  • Reply 13 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

a couple of years down the road we'll be running OS X Elephant, the one that stomps on all others. Hopefully those OS W (vista kernal) rumors aren't true, but we'll see...

That's Apple's challenge. Keeping one step ahead of windows. Leopard preview should give us some insight.
  • Reply 14 of 99
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Gee, soliciting comments about Vista on a Mac forum? Desperate for a flamewar?

Flamewar? what do you mean? It doesn't matter if your a Mac or Windows fan, everyone is pretty much in agreement that Vista is a complete piece of shit, just a bad carbon copy of OSX.

See for yourself ...

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...ta_5308_05.asp
  • Reply 15 of 99
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Hey, I better start a trend:

A blind Leopard can't see a Vista.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    Quote:

Vista is break from a lot of the past just like the OSX was from OS 9, but it must be done.

That's to be expected, one would at least hope for such improvements, the question is which direction is it going? Is it simpler to use? Is it more user friendly? Does it improve one's work flow? Is it more straight forward?

From the screen shots I see your typical MS Windows with all it's unneeded complexities and then some just to make it "more sophisticated."
  • Reply 17 of 99
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Actually, I think NT was the break for MS, when they went with a Unix type kernel architecture.

Vista will just be the latest iteration of NT, albeit with some new bell and whistles.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

That's to be expected, one would at least hope for such improvements, the question is which direction is it going? Is it simpler to use? Is it more user friendly? Does it improve one's work flow? Is it more straight forward?

From the screen shots I see your typical MS Windows with all it's unneeded complexities and then some just to make it "more sophisticated."

What unneeded complxities? It looks just like OS X, for christ sake.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What unneeded complxities? It looks just like OS X, for christ sake.

Well then, to you, Vista is just like OS X. No explanations needed as you see what you see. Kinda pointless to explain otherwise isn't?
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Well then, to you, Vista is just like OS X. No explanations needed as you see what you see. Kinda pointless to explain otherwise isn't?

Great point there.