Cyclists iPod Accessory

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As someone who cycles a bit, I would like to see a system that is the cycling equivalent to the Apple/Nike combination just released. Garmin does one, others too no doubt but the price is insane. GPS engines are a lot more expensive than accelerometers but a large component of the cost would be taken up by the iPod. I don't listen to music while I ride but I always have my iPod on me because I commute to and from the office. A single earpiece and audio prompts would be OK though, with one ear listening to traffic etc. I wouldn't need a special mount on the bike, one like that worn by the runner in the TV add would do but a waterproof housing could be offered.

http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

Would be cool (or wicked or sick, take your pick).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Cycling is just the best sport in the world, in my modest opinion. However I'm sure this will never happen at least from Apple directly, because of the safety issue and liability issue. Think about it. Jogging, 8 miles per hour, cycling, 18 or 28 miles per hour. Sometimes in traffic, or in my case, extreme trails. You can't have distractions and you need your hearing.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Cycling is just the best sport in the world, in my modest opinion. However I'm sure this will never happen at least from Apple directly, because of the safety issue and liability issue. Think about it. Jogging, 8 miles per hour, cycling, 18 or 28 miles per hour. Sometimes in traffic, or in my case, extreme trails. You can't have distractions and you need your hearing.

I agree. For data acquisition and storage it would be neat however. Consider these two points perhaps. One, professional cyclists often train and compete with an earpiece (singular) allowing them to receive information from the team manager. Apple could write the iPod driver in such a way that when data is coming in, only a single earpiece can be driven. Two, where I live we have an extensive system of what are called 'dual-use' paths, designed for cycling as well as walking. One of the biggest hazards on these paths is wired runners who just cannot hear you trying to alert them to your presence. I often have to pass these people at a walking pace to do so safely, which reduces the utility of paths for cyclists. Even approaching head on, they are so buried in their music that they often just do not notice you.

In fact, the iPod could make cycling safer. One way is by removing any desire to look at a bike computer while riding, especially if trying to stick to a particular cadence or heartrate for example.

By the way, 'jogging' at 8 miles per hour and riding at 28 miles per hour ain't bad!