help! help! help with microsoft office x... won't start up!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hello!

microsoft word worked fine (since it's upgrade to office x sr1). i tried to use word today, and it won't start. while "optimizing font menu performance," it "unexpectedly quits." this happend to me before. i had to delete all the files related to microsoft then reinstall. it worked fine then. this time, it does not work and this problem repeats. entourage works, but the rest of the office programs does not work, word, powerpoint, and excel. i called once for microsoft for help, but i decided that it was pointless as my question then wasn't answered and i wasted my time with the phone support.

i was trying to install "tinkertool" today, and i thought perhaps that was causing this and deleted it. it still does not work. thank you in advance for help and advises! have a great day!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Ah yes, the font bug. It's a common issue.

If you have a Classic system folder, rename the Fonts folder to something like Fonts (Disabled). Log out, log back in, and try to launch Office again. If it still doesn't work, go to the /Library/Fonts folder and ~/Library/Fonts folder and move the contents into two other folders. Log out, log back in, and try Office again. Now, begin the tedious process of adding fonts back until you find the ones that Office chokes on.

When Office launches, it loads all the fonts so it can build its WYSIWYG font menu. If a font is damaged somehow, Office chokes and dies when it attempts to load it. Strangely, fonts that work fine in other apps have killed Office for me. It's very weird. One way to keep using fonts that kill Office is to first remove the font, then launch Office and uncheck the "WYSIWYG font and style menus" option. Then, put your font back and Office will load fine. Unchecking that option also speeds up launch time.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    protodadaprotodada Posts: 125member
    hello starfleetx!

thank you! i wrote "disabled" on my os 9 font. and it launched fine...... thank you again!

have a great week! :-)

it is just so foreign to me that programs "act up...." and computer in general (eventhough i had a mac since '85) "hal.... behave..... behave...... i am not dave...." :-)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Glad to be of help.

In this case, I blame Microsoft. You would think that a multi-multi-billion dollar software company would be smart enough to put some simple error checking in the startup process. Sheesh!

Anyway, if you had any fonts your Classic Fonts folder, they'll no longer be available to X or Classic now. I know this will be a tedious process, but you really should re-make the Fonts folder and gradually add fonts back until you find the one(s) Office chokes on. Classic will not behave properly without any fonts (everything will use a bitmapped 12 point Geneva) plus you won't be able to use any of the fonts you had in there to begin with. Yes, Mac OS X also scans for and uses fonts in the Classic Fonts folder.

Good luck!